Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

I like those apartments too, though they are pretty pricey for Hollywood. Splash Page | Rubix HollywoodRubix Hollywood | Live Life With Style
The non-loft ones look typical for the trendier central areas of New York City. The presentation style is perhaps LA-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,973,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
maybe its me, but that looks like its about sprinkler requirements, not about wood frame construction.
It is just you. Click on the link and read the article. Here let me spoon feed your info to you.

NFPA REPORT ON LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION AND FIRE OPERATIONS

Two recent studies detail the relationship between fire and engineered wood construction assemblies—notably, that they burn quicker and fail faster than their dimensional lumber counterparts.
What do the findings mean for the fire service, builders, consumers, and NFPA codes? NFPA Journal®, July/August 2009-By Alan R. Earls

Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You wrote:

"You do know that building and fire codes are written by rich developers, to maximize their profits, by allowing them to construct the cheapest, crappiest buildings that can possibly be inhabited, right?"

Of course builders have input as to the regulations that impact their business. No industry, not a single one, is regulated without the input of the people engaged in that business.

Having input is a FAR FAR FAR cry from being "written by rich developers, to maximize their profits, by allowing them to construct the cheapest, crappiest buildings that can possibly be inhabited."
What does that matter? It's still the builders profits over safety. The builders get whatever they want. Thats what everything in this country is about. Rich people making more money. Thats all that matters. If people burn to death in shoddily constructed homes, that just the price we have to pay to make the 1% even richer.

And the sheep will keep paying top dollar for these kindling wood death traps with the fake masonry on the outside.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Do you even read these articles?

"Two recent studies detail the relationship between fire and engineered wood construction assemblies—notably, that they burn quicker and fail faster than their dimensional lumber counterparts.
"

The article says developers are using cheap engineered wood in place of sturdier wood. AKA using plywood instead of solid lumber.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,347,628 times
This thread moved over to code but I think the posters concern was a lifestye unknown to them. The function of retail below and apts./condos above has to do with density goals of the city, development costs for the builder, and lowering taxes/increasing benefits for the citizen. I.E. you sell the apts. but lease out the commercial for "cash flow", the condo sales recoup for dev. money. The city gets more consumers close in, justifying more bus service, greater police response time, etc. and an increased tax base in a smaller area.

Framing wise I see all concrete with all steel stud here in Calgary, whereas Vancouver, B.C. still uses wood frame. Engineered wood beams are actually stronger than wood (Paralam, etc.) and can be fire-proofed.

Visit Vancouvers' Yaletown or West End and see what this has done with a little planning. Calgary is only about 25 years behind, but will get there starting now. Which is surprising because of the weather I expected Alberta to be on this 25 years ago.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,614,088 times
To the OP: These buildings are cheaply made and their units are overpriced. These buildings are getting slapped up everywhere, as I guess it's the new trend in "urban living." You get to live on top and between people like sardines and pay premiums for granite countertops, hardwood flooring, name-brand appliances, a weight room with a treadmill or two, and maybe even a pool.

I have been in several of these "buildings" and was horrified at the poor insulation, cheap construction products, and general faux-urban design. You can hear everything that your neighbors are doing and can see the imperfections that exist in your unit that were left for getting the building up as fast as possible.

I am not a fan. One of my close friends escaped one of those monstrosities for a nice and new single family home in my metro Denver neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM

23,089 posts, read 28,815,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Most of the concrete buildings in Mexico and Central America are not insulated, no need given the climate.
In a more northern climate (most of the US), wood frame is superior because it is easily insulated.
And what's the excuse for not building concrete buildings in the SW, Southern CA, southern parts of the U.S.? Before these cities boomed, in both Phoenix, Las Vegas and Tucson, concrete was prevalent!

I came alarmed, recently, through a couple trips to L.A., as I wanted travel to L.A. via their light rail system. I saw three of these structures under construction in their Chinatown district alone. The concrete platform for the 2nd floor and stacking 5 floors of wooden construction on top! Thus the ! I was under the impression that one could only have a 3 story apartment building built of wood, and to see 5 floors being added, I cringed in horror, being such a paranoiac about fire! What next!!! They'll allow 6-7 floors of wood!

Thru SkyscraperPage, with their city photo threads, I sadly discovered they're building these types of buldings everywhere in this country!

The lumber companies will always be a force to be reckoned with in this country and their powerful lobbying efforts!

I'll never live in one of those and thankfully most others are not as paranoid as I am!

Que sera, sera!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,269,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've always had, let's say, an irrational, perhaps unreasonable, fear of fire! And when I see them tack 4-5 floors of wood atop a concrete platform I'm horror-stricken! Just the thought of being on the top floor of that buidling and a fire breaks out!

I've read enough of apartment building fires here in Las Vegas, over the years, tenants being displaced in the middle of the night (one fire recently displaced 50 people) and that's something I hope never to go through in my lifetime, being rudely awakened at 2am, ordering me to leave the building with my pets!

The times I've lived in apartment buildings, they've been in high-rises, lessening the fear of fires. For years, in one of those older high-rises with concrete walls separating the units.

So that probably puts me in a tiny minority of those that wouldn't consider renting a unit in one of these buildings ever! Also the potential displacement factor!

Where I live now, a unit in my townhouse complex went up in flames, and being there's concrete walls separating the units, there was no displacements on either side of the unit that burned! Whereas I can sleep better at night!
It's not a "tenement" just because you have irrational fears. In fact, I suspect your use of "tenement" reflects snottiness more than fire safety. I sleep 3 floors up in a wooden building every night...it's called a townhouse. OH NO!!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
It's not a "tenement" just because you have irrational fears. In fact, I suspect your use of "tenement" reflects snottiness more than fire safety. I sleep 3 floors up in a wooden building every night...it's called a townhouse. OH NO!!!!

ten·e·ment noun \ˈte-nə-mənt\
Definition of TENEMENT

1: any of various forms of corporeal property (as land) or incorporeal property that is held by one person from another
2: dwelling
3a : a house used as a dwelling : residence
b : apartment, flat
c : tenement house

Tenement - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,782,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I suspect the biggest concern if fire, but I believe these buildings require sprinkler systems.
Wouldn't that mean if there ever is a fire, someone can kiss their residence or business goodbye?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning