Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,891,003 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a management position that focuses on strategic planning. One aspect would be setting up a GIS system for the organization. I am familiar with how GIS is used, layers, etc., but I do not have a lot of experience using the software myself. Would it be realistic to teach myself how to use the ESRI products? I have seen that there are online learning modules available through ESRI's site. Or is this something that I need to learn through the ESRI courses?

P.S. Mods, if there is a better forum for this thread, please feel free to move it. This seemed like it might be the place with the most GIS users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM

723 posts, read 2,187,539 times
lol whaaatt...

in a management position with no GIS background, it sounds like you would hire someone who would have intimate knowledge with, yes, ESRI products, Windows Server and heavy database skills for managing huge datasets.

If you need to teach yourself ESRI ArcGIS it needn't be expensive or difficult. They've finally come out with ArcGIS For Home™ . Many states have datasets available for use, especially the larger cities. Off hand I know Washington, Cali and Louisiana offer up alot of data in ArcGIS ready format.

The help files are ok but i'd use a book of some sort. ESRI Press has some good starter books one could use.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,891,003 times
My job wouldn't be on the technical side of things, i.e. making maps,layers and/or datasets all day. I would need to know enough to tell the contractors what to do. Also, the GIS would only be one part of the job - the rest of it would be tracking demographics, planning for future needs, public relations, etc. I don't need to become an expert in GIS, but I would like to be at least somewhat functional so that I can communicate more effectively with the actual GIS technicians.

Anyway, good to know that there are affordable ways to teach myself.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,984,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
My job wouldn't be on the technical side of things, i.e. making maps,layers and/or datasets all day. I would need to know enough to tell the contractors what to do. Also, the GIS would only be one part of the job - the rest of it would be tracking demographics, planning for future needs, public relations, etc. I don't need to become an expert in GIS, but I would like to be at least somewhat functional so that I can communicate more effectively with the actual GIS technicians.

Anyway, good to know that there are affordable ways to teach myself.
Sure, you can always try.

Worse comes to worse, you can't handle the job and they fire you.

There are several books that teach ArcGIS and the latest versions. The old versions get outdated quick so you can get tutorial books for like $1 online.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM

72,798 posts, read 62,114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm interviewing for a management position that focuses on strategic planning. One aspect would be setting up a GIS system for the organization. I am familiar with how GIS is used, layers, etc., but I do not have a lot of experience using the software myself. Would it be realistic to teach myself how to use the ESRI products? I have seen that there are online learning modules available through ESRI's site. Or is this something that I need to learn through the ESRI courses?

P.S. Mods, if there is a better forum for this thread, please feel free to move it. This seemed like it might be the place with the most GIS users.
I've taken GIS courses. Depending on how determined you are, it is possible to teach yourself GIS. However, it won't be easy. It would be better to find someone who knows GIS or to enroll in some courses.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
I've heard of GIS. Just read its wiki article. Sounds like neat stuff.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've heard of GIS. Just read its wiki article. Sounds like neat stuff.
It's an extremely powerful analytical tool.

[the depth and range of GIS applications are very impressive]

Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
If you need to teach yourself ESRI ArcGIS it needn't be expensive or difficult. They've finally come out with ArcGIS For Homeâ„¢ .
That is that is the primary software tool for those who indeed want to learn it at their own pace?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM

723 posts, read 2,187,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
That is that is the primary software tool for those who indeed want to learn it at their own pace?
Yes, for those who want to learn ArcGIS it is the only tool for learning at one's own pace.

For GIS/Scientific Inquiry in general, one does not need to use ESRI tools depending on what they are trying to accomplish. GRASS GIS, Manifold etc etc they are definately not as ubiquitis or....well in my opinion, use friendly or powerful as ArcGIS, but in commercial scenarios they are infinitely cheaper than the closest ESRI solution.

Last edited by Xeon1210; 03-13-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning