U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Sorry dude, but why this dip (the orig guy in 1938, not the OP) chose to call something a 'primate city' is way more interesting and the answer using the definitions provided is an obvious and resounding "no".
Agreed. Maybe the original guy had never taken a biology course and was totally unfamiliar with the normal use of the word "primate". I think the religious primate definition is quite old as well.

Every profession has its "lingo". G*d knows, mine (health care) does. However, I don't think we have borrowed any words from totally unrelated fields, and I rarely use obscure health care words in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Seriously though... DC won't be able to achieve the density of other big cities because it is built on a swamp, limiting the ability to build up.
Not all of DC was built on a swamp. Don't forget that no structure can built higher than the Washington Monument.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

358 posts, read 360,119 times
I just can't see Washington DC ever becoming a primate city. First of all, the U.S. is too large to have a primate city. That term only really works when looking at the state level. Second, the U.S. has so many important cities in a variety of aspects that D.C. can never really dominate (except for government).

D.C.'s recent population growth and urban renewal is certainly making it an "it" city, and I think it will stay that way a la Boston and San Francisco.

I'm baffled by the posters who are still dwelling on the word "primate". Word have different meanings. You didn't know what it meant. Get over it.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed. Maybe the original guy had never taken a biology course and was totally unfamiliar with the normal use of the word "primate". I think the religious primate definition is quite old as well.

Every profession has its "lingo". G*d knows, mine (health care) does. However, I don't think we have borrowed any words from totally unrelated fields, and I rarely use obscure health care words in public.
I think the original guy didn't care about the biology definition and was trying to be analogous to the religious definition. I don't really care about the word choice.

I've heard other goofy sounding academic lingo. Physics has "degenerate matter". And math has "transcendental functions".

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM

209 posts, read 379,396 times
No.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,842,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Not all of DC was built on a swamp. Don't forget that no structure can built higher than the Washington Monument.
Capitol Dome. The Washington Monument is an exception.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,984 posts, read 3,464,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Whew, this got ugly fast, but I'll weigh in anyway.

1. The term "primate city" is Geography 101. The definition provided is only partially correct. While a primate city is 2x the size of the next largest city, the concept also includes the fact that not only is it the largest city in a country, but that there are no important (economically, socially, politically) intermediate-sized urban areas as well. The term was used to describe the urban hierarchy in places like the UK, France, and many other countries. The urban distribution in the US (and Germany for that matter) follows the rank-size rule of distribution. See a discussion of both concepts here.

2. When it comes to the hierarchy of cities, Washington, DC, is down the list on importance. According to the Global City theory, New York is the most important city in the world because of its extensive economic, political, and social importance. Economically, NYC is home to the largest concentration of major multinational corporations, the most important stock exchange, and is the economic engine for the largest economy in the world. Politically, NYC (the former capital city of the USA I might point out), is not as important nationally as DC, but as the headquarters of the United Nations, it serves a more international purpose. Socially, DC cannot compete. NYC is a major art, fashion, and cultural center for the world. Depending on who is doing the ranking, DC is ranked below Chicago, LA, and even San Francisco.
Well lets at least get this straight DC in terms of hierarchy of cities will never be lower than 3rd in importance in the country. Chicago and SF may round out the top 5 but DC is more important than both. Beyond government, DC has just as much media influence, fashion, arts and/or as much of cultural center as Chicago or SF.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,107,012 times
DC has no fashion, and artists are being priced out. Great art museums, though - the Corcoran is my favorite .

Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM

287 posts, read 272,119 times
Actually Philadelphia should be America's primate city if it weren't for the mistakes the founding fathers made of sending finances to New York and constructing a new capital.

D.C. doesn't deserve to exist to begin with. The Brits didn't do a good job with the burning.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,107,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Actually Philadelphia should be America's primate city if it weren't for the mistakes the founding fathers made of sending finances to New York and constructing a new capital.

D.C. doesn't deserve to exist to begin with. The Brits didn't do a good job with the burning.
The second war of 1812 reference on this forum in two days. Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or