Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM

507 posts, read 806,992 times

Advertisements

DC is not even second in the Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I think it already is. There are more primates working on capitol hill than in any zoo in the country.

Seriously though... DC won't be able to achieve the density of other big cities because it is built on a swamp, limiting the ability to build up.
The Capitol Hill Primate Zoo! lol

Seems DC also has the disadvantage of being a one industry "company" town, with a lot of turn over every 4 to 8 years. And zero chance of becoming a fashion / cultural center.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 PM

245 posts, read 298,385 times
I think you should add Southern Maryland (Montgomery and PG counties) and Northern Virginia . but DC city itself is small in addition about a quarter of it is still not developed

Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Not in this millenium.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Could the OP come back and please explain what a "primate" city is? These are the only definitions I could find, none of which have to do with cities.

Primate (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A primate is any member of the biologic order Primates.

Primate may also refer to:

Primate (bishop), a title bestowed on bishops by some Christian churches
Primates (journal), a scientific journal
Prince primate, a title formerly given in German and Hungarian nations

Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
See:

Primate city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A primate city is when one city is economically, culturally and/or politically more important than other cities in the same country. London is a classic example; it's a financial and political capital. It's hard to compare city or metro size in the UK, but I'd estimate it's 5 times larger in population than the next metro.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Doesn't seem to be a term in general usage, as this is the first time I ever heard of it.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Doesn't seem to be a term in general usage, as this is the first time I ever heard of it.
Depends on what you read, I guess. I think it's commonly used in geography.

Among the larger western European countries, France and the UK have a primate city, Italy, Spain and Germany don't. I suspect Germany might have gotten close to one if it weren't for the wars and cold war. Mexico has one, but Canada doesn't. Hmm... this could be an interesting future thread topic if fleshed out more.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM

195 posts, read 284,055 times
I remember reading in geography that the primate city is usually at least twice as large as the next most populous area. Bangkok is probably the best example. Doha and Cairo are also others.

List of primate cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think DC will ever become a primate city. There are cities in the US that are growing much faster. Also a huge chunk of DC's economy is tied to the government in some way. So unless we see a massive expansion in the government, there's probably not going to be the amount of growth needed to become a primate city.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
The division of Germany destroyed Berlin as a contender for primate city of Germany; with so many other German cities being strong in various areas (Frankfurt and Munich come to mind) I doubt it will become one again.

The US is just far too big and distributed to have one. Even in some future overpopulation scenario where you consolidated everything from Richmond to Boston, you'd still have Chicago and the west coast as rivals. Maybe Texas too, but they'd probably have seceded by then :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning