U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: DC Waterfront vs. Philadelphia Waterfront: Which has the most potential?
Washington DC 3 14.29%
Philadelphia 17 80.95%
Can't Decide 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM
 
Location: The City
22,349 posts, read 32,274,638 times
Reputation: 7754

Advertisements

Philadelphia Considering a Cap for Waterfront Highway – Next City

PlanPhilly | PennDOT issues RFP for I-95 design makeover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,352 posts, read 26,373,004 times
Reputation: 11794
This would be great. I hope it gets underway soon.

Another thing DC has going for it is that there are multiple waterfronts that are currently decent, but could be terrific given the right amount of investment. I've always been surprised that more has not been done with the Alexandria waterfront. It merges right into King Street in Old Town, which has a very vibrant daytime and nightime scene. There's a ferry that carries people from the National Harbor to Alexandria and then to Georgetown, but the overall experience is a bit underwhelming since the waterfronts there are not that great (especially in Alexandria). But if they upgrade them (and the Nat'l Harbor puts in casinos), that would be a great 3 to 4 punch combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
 
5,076 posts, read 8,553,428 times
Reputation: 4632
Can't beat a lovely view of Camden...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: The City
22,349 posts, read 32,274,638 times
Reputation: 7754
View of Camden

Battleship New Jersey (Penn's Landing) I | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sailing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

camden1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Camden Waterfront View From Penns Landing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

New Year's Eve Fireworks in Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
 
9,841 posts, read 11,481,309 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

How is the planning for this going? I read that it was moving forward a few months ago. How is it coming along? Has it broken ground yet? Also, Philly has so much waterfront area, are there any other major developments like this one that have been proposed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: The City
22,349 posts, read 32,274,638 times
Reputation: 7754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How is the planning for this going? I read that it was moving forward a few months ago. How is it coming along? Has it broken ground yet? Also, Philly has so much waterfront area, are there any other major developments like this one that have been proposed?
Part are complete others under review etc.

Will see how it all comes togteher. That plan covers miles of the waterfront and potentially 200K additional residents


here is signs of hope but time will tell, the Philly waterfront will not develop as quickly as DC (though 3 new mid to large scale residential developments are breaking ground this spring)

Waterfront Planners See Big Impact From Small Projects Underway | Hidden City Philadelphia

Though Steve Wynn is vieing for a new Casino based on his Macau Property

The casino proposals, by the numbers: Wynn Philadelphia | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
9,841 posts, read 11,481,309 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Part are complete others under review etc.

Will see how it all comes togteher. That plan covers miles of the waterfront and potentially 200K additional residents


here is signs of hope but time will tell, the Philly waterfront will not develop as quickly as DC (though 3 new mid to large scale residential developments are breaking ground this spring)

Waterfront Planners See Big Impact From Small Projects Underway | Hidden City Philadelphia

Though Steve Wynn is vieing for a new Casino based on his Macau Property

The casino proposals, by the numbers: Wynn Philadelphia | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

Are you talking about the plan you posted could have 200,000 people? Wow....how many units are being built? Wouldn't it take over 100,000 units to get 200,000 people? Are there that many units planned in this master plan? If so, that is the largest masterplan I have ever seen. Do you have a link to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: The City
22,349 posts, read 32,274,638 times
Reputation: 7754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are you talking about the plan you posted could have 200,000 people? Wow....how many units are being built? Wouldn't it take at least 75,000 units to get 200,000 people? Are there that many units planned in this master plan? If so, that is the largest masterplan I have ever seen. Do you have a link to it?
am pretty sure the earlier link is the maester plan, basically the plan includes new neighborhoods (some that were bulldozed to make way for I95) from North of Port Richmond all the way to the Navy Yard

I dont believe it will ever contain 200K in our lifetimes though

There are about 4K units about to break ground but this would be long term infill, area by area

There are things pushing this way like this this in Fishtown/No Libs

Time will tell and capping of parts of 95 will be integral and also the River Light Rail line if that ever happens

PlanPhilly | Canal Street North developer meets with NLNA, hears concerns about noise, parking, traffic


PATCO Philadelphia Waterfront Transit Expansion AA - YouTube

http://www.delawareriverwaterfrontco...port110609.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
 
9,841 posts, read 11,481,309 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
am pretty sure the earlier link is the maester plan, basically the plan includes new neighborhoods (some that were bulldozed to make way for I95) from North of Port Richmond all the way to the Navy Yard

I dont believe it will ever contain 200K in our lifetimes though

There are about 4K units about to break ground but this would be long term infill, area by area

There are things pushing this way like this this in Fishtown/No Libs

Time will tell and capping of parts of 95 will be integral and also the River Light Rail line if that ever happens

PlanPhilly | Canal Street North developer meets with NLNA, hears concerns about noise, parking, traffic


PATCO Philadelphia Waterfront Transit Expansion AA - YouTube

http://www.delawareriverwaterfrontco...port110609.pdf

O ok thanks! Should be great. How much will be built in the next 10? That stretches along the river for quite sometime. Should be amazing when done even though we may not see it, looks great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,419,253 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This would be great. I hope it gets underway soon.

Another thing DC has going for it is that there are multiple waterfronts that are currently decent, but could be terrific given the right amount of investment. I've always been surprised that more has not been done with the Alexandria waterfront. It merges right into King Street in Old Town, which has a very vibrant daytime and nightime scene. There's a ferry that carries people from the National Harbor to Alexandria and then to Georgetown, but the overall experience is a bit underwhelming since the waterfronts there are not that great (especially in Alexandria). But if they upgrade them (and the Nat'l Harbor puts in casinos), that would be a great 3 to 4 punch combination.
Don't forget about the new Tanger's Outlets that will be next to the Harbor sometime next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top