U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DC Waterfront vs. Philadelphia Waterfront: Which has the most potential?
Washington DC 3 14.29%
Philadelphia 17 80.95%
Can't Decide 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
O ok thanks! Should be great. How much will be built in the next 10? That stretches along the river for quite sometime. Should be amazing when done even though we may not see it, looks great.

Sadly I dont see all of it coming to fuition in our lifetimes but hopefully at least some of it, time will tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Don't forget about the new Tanger's Outlets that will be next to the Harbor sometime next year.

Honestly, with so many waterfronts being built in and around D.C., the DMV could have one of the best waterfronts in the country. The activation of the water's edge happening around the rivers is just mind blowing. It's everywhere and I can honestly say D.C. could become a waterfront city known for its waterfront's. The developments are destination's that will draw people from around the region. It will change the dynamic of the city and it's a refreshing change for D.C. which has not had a water presence.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Quote:
I would say D.C. only because of the amount of development parcels. D.C. has 7 different waterfronts developing and they will all be connected by water taxi. I don't know of another city with that many large waterfront developments.

-Alexandria Waterfront

-Yards Waterfront

-Wharf Waterfront

-National Harbor

-Poplar Point Waterfront

-Buzzard Point Waterfront

-Georgetown Waterfront
I live in the DC area, and have never heard of most of these developments. Can you identify where each of these are? And are these approved developments or juct conceptual designs?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:34 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I live in the DC area, and have never heard of most of these developments. Can you identify where each of these are? And are these approved developments or juct conceptual designs?
Google?

The Wharf is, um, where the Wharf is. It's where 7th Street terminates at Maine Avenue in Southwest.

The Yards, I believe, is the area near Nats Park and behind the DOT building.

The National Harbor is the big complex you see when crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge into Maryland.

Poplar Point is the area on the other side of the Frederick Douglas Bridge.

Buzzard Point is in SW. When crossing the Frederick Douglas Bridge into Greater SE, it's to your right.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Google?

The Wharf is, um, where the Wharf is. It's where 7th Street terminates at Maine Avenue in Southwest.

The Yards, I believe, is the area near Nats Park and behind the DOT building.

The National Harbor is the big complex you see when crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge into Maryland.

Poplar Point is the area on the other side of the Frederick Douglas Bridge.

Buzzard Point is in SW. When crossing the Frederick Douglas Bridge into Greater SE, it's to your right.
Thank you.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,095,690 times
Quote:
Honestly, with so many waterfronts being built in and around D.C., the DMV could have one of the best waterfronts in the country. The activation of the water's edge happening around the rivers is just mind blowing. It's everywhere and I can honestly say D.C. could become a waterfront city known for its waterfront's. The developments are destination's that will draw people from around the region. It will change the dynamic of the city and it's a refreshing change for D.C. which has not had a water presence.
Nah.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Nah.

Someone from Baltimore trying to down play the waterfront developments happening in D.C. Shocking!! I guess time will tell won't it?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,095,690 times
Quote:
Someone from Baltimore trying to down play the waterfront developments happening in D.C. Shocking!! I guess time will tell won't it?
History is what makes Baltimore's waterfront special. So yeah, time will tell - in approximately 200 years or so. Cold Stone and Panera on the Anacostia can't touch this:

Give us a call if you need Baltimore and its seafarers to save the country again: Battle of North Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
History is what makes Baltimore's waterfront special. So yeah, time will tell - in approximately 200 years or so. Cold Stone and Panera on the Anacostia can't touch this:

Give us a call if you need Baltimore and its seafarers to save the country again: Battle of North Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Panera Bread and Cold Stone? LOL.............this is not Baltimore. We will not have restaurants like that on our worldclass waterfronts like Baltimore does with places like Cheesecake factory on it's waterfront lol!!!

D.C. is going to have worldclass restaurants with worldclass chefs on our waterfronts. This is not Baltimore. We actually have worldclass restaurants in our city. There may be a few chains, but the developers want mainly chef driven restaurants.

Have you ever heard of Michael White? Famous chef in Soho in New York? Well he is opening an "Osteria Morini" DC location of his world famous Soho restaurant this year in the Yards waterfront and he is just the tip of the iceberg of worldclass restaurants opening on D.C.'s waterfront.

NYC Celeb Chef to Open Osteria at The Yards | NBC4 Washington

Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
PlanPhilly | Zoning bill designed to shape development of city's Delaware River master plan goals introduced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or