U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,196,095 times

Advertisements

IMO skywalks are inappropriate for downtowns for all the reasons HandsUpThumbsDown mentioned.
In soulless suburban office parks surrounded by parking they might make sense.

I will not pass judgement on Minneapolis, aka Siberia, but that is an exception.

Indianapolis has a skywalk over one downtown intersection that also serves as an art gallery.
Believe it increases street life since it connects to street level on all 4 corners and is more a destination than a shortcut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
A better image with street grid

http://osric.com/chris/subway/concourse1000x1000.gif

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,929,297 times
i, too, give a big thumbs-down to skywalks. the movement was in response to the shopping mall and the suburbanization of america. downtowns tried to give consumers what they thought they wanted.

here are my criticisms:

1. streets should remain the heart of the city. skywalks take life off of the street.
2. cities struggle with maintaining existing infrastructure. skywalks are another level of infrastructure that must be maintained. they have four surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling) to maintain instead of the one (concrete base) of sidewalks.
3. seemingly privatizes public space. access to the system is often through retailers or hotels. parks, churches, and other public spaces are not prioritized. potentially creates a literal second level of society.
4. skywalks take the public eye off of the street. nothing discourages crime more than eyes on the street. secondly, cities are defined by the relationship between public spaces (streets, sidewalks, parks) and buildings. the skywalk system kills this almost entirely.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
^ agree

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
People who work downtown every day, whether they commute from some suburb, take the bus from the inner city or walk 6 blocks should be able to ideally bypass the "synergy" of the street life so that they can just get to their desks or get home quicker.
Right. When I lived in Cincinnati, I was grateful for the opportunity of bypassing the "synergy" of all the Cubs fans lolling about the sidewalks in packs when the team was in town.

I also appreciated being able to walk the five blocks from the bus stop to the office, but only spending a half block of it outside in the pouring rain, winter wind, or heat and humidity.

And if I want to go into a business on the street level, I can and will do that. If I'm late for the bus, I'm not going to stop anyway. And of I don't want to go into a business on the street level, my passing by the business on a daily basis isn't going to change my mind.

We must be the most impulsive people on the face of this earth. Oooh! Look! Shiny! I must have it!

Quote:
I think the majority of office workers share a similar mentality, and if there's something on the street that they want/need, they'll go that way instead.
Exactly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
2. cities struggle with maintaining existing infrastructure. skywalks are another level of infrastructure that must be maintained. they have four surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling) to maintain instead of the one (concrete base) of sidewalks.
This objection I can buy. The others ... no.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,108,470 times
I think people misunderstood the meaning of "synergy."

Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I think people misunderstood the meaning of "synergy."
Sarcasm, my dear, sarcasm ...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i, too, give a big thumbs-down to skywalks. the movement was in response to the shopping mall and the suburbanization of america. downtowns tried to give consumers what they thought they wanted.

here are my criticisms:

1. streets should remain the heart of the city. skywalks take life off of the street.
3. seemingly privatizes public space. access to the system is often through retailers or hotels. parks, churches, and other public spaces are not prioritized. potentially creates a literal second level of society.
4. skywalks take the public eye off of the street. nothing discourages crime more than eyes on the street. secondly, cities are defined by the relationship between public spaces (streets, sidewalks, parks) and buildings. the skywalk system kills this almost entirely.
Rant, rant, rant! Ever been to Minneapolis in the winter? How about with a couple of little kids?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM

634 posts, read 852,669 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Des Moines. They have a very extensive skywalk system throughout the downtown and people love it. Especially good for the cold weather climates!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Des Moines. They have a very extensive skywalk system throughout the downtown and people love it. Especially good for the cold weather climates!
Indeed! Check out this great map of the Des Moines skywalk:

Also, I know you specified US cities, but I thought I'd add a map of the Calgary skywalk for the heck of it since its pretty impressive. There's 9.9 miles of skywalk and 59 bridges in a metro of just a little over a million.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or