U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times

Advertisements

Des Moines, Iowa has got a pretty good one and is always adding to it. The city has an unusually high degree of metro jobs located in the downtown area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,889,101 times
Detroit.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Indianapolis has a decent skywalk system, though it does include the Circle Centre mall. It's also mostly for out-of-town visitors as most office buildings aren't connected to it. It essentially connects the mall, convention center, and Lucas Oil Stadium to several hotels downtown and a handful of parking garages. There's also an underground tunnel that connects to the state capitol building and government center. I don't feel it takes away from street life because and shops or restaurants that are not inside the Circle Centre mall, you have to go outside to the street level to get to. And as I said, very few office buildings are connected to the skywalk so most office workers still have to go outside to get to their office. This map is kind of old as the ones that say Future are actually finished now.

The coolest feature of the Indy skywalk system is the Artsgarden, a big glass dome that hangs over the intersection of Washington and Illinois Streets and connects the mall with the 3 hotels on the other 3 corners.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM

8,789 posts, read 10,703,951 times
I think baltimore is much more typical in NYC. Even in NYC, the High Line isnt really about avoiding crowds, its more of a park/artistic attraction on its own. But in NYC such alt passages as there are do not detract from the critical mass on the street.

In many other areas it does. The OP mentions Rosslyn VA. While Arlington County is not, AFAIK tearing down the skywalk there, they are not extending it, and when it conflicts with some new development, I beleive a few parts have come down. It does not add to the vibrancy of Rosslyn. In Crystal City which has an underground system, effort has been given to shift more activity to street level. CC is in fact a perfect example of the drive in, walk around underground, ideal for surbuban commuters, and how it has deadened an area (to the point the suburban commuters mostly dont like it either).

Areas with particularly bad climates may well be different.

oh the other problem in baltimore, was crime. When I lived there, in the 1980s, while downtown wasnt exactly a nogo zone, outside of the busier hours crime was a matter of concern. With more people on the sidewalks, PLUS the eyes of the drivers, busstops, etc, and only a few peds on the skywalks, one could feel quite exposed crimewise up there.

And for that, the sidewalk areas below them lost sunlight, and there was additional maintenance.

I mean a lot of folks here can understand that adding height to buildings is a tradeoff - but that at least creates more housing, office space, and activity generally. But to lose sunlight to duplicate an existing, perfectly good sidewalk?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,502,318 times
Skyways are a huge deal in Minnesota, because they are completely necessary. Minneapolis has the largest continuous system in the world, St. Paul has one of the largest in the world, Duluth has a large skyway system, and so does Rochester. You can even find skyways connecting important buildings and office buildings in St. Cloud, Bloomington, Mankato, St. Louis Park, Moorhead, and Golden Valley. That's 10 cities with skyways. Also as far as the border cities go, Fargo, ND has a few, Sioux Falls, SD has a small system, and so does La Crosse, WI. That's 13 cities in and next to Minnesota with small, large to massive skyway systems. And although they decrease street life during the winter, I think they are completely necessary.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:01 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,181,299 times
Yeah, I believe Minnesota, and especially Minneapolis, has the skyway thing locked down. They are sort of a necessary evil in those parts.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,760,691 times
I don't even think they're that evil. The skyways in Minneapolis at least have a life and vibrancy of their own.
(Not like Des Moines. I love many things about Des Moines, but the current state of its skywalk system is pretty bleak and bland.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or