Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Yep I was a bit surprised as well, my wife was called the 'N' word in Cambridge as we stepped out of the subway station into Harvard Square. Mind you this was unprovoked, we never seen this guy before nor had any encounter with him. Later as we strolled around the area we run into this guy again speaking on open microphone on the sidewalk blaming black folks for this counties problems, and again yelled out racial epithets. Not one person in the crowd of pedestrians said a word against him. Now I'm not saying LA does not have it's share of racism, but this would have not been tolerated here, not personally I don't even think this would be allowed in this day even in parts of Orange County, someone would have spoken up.

BTW I too am African American and of mixed race, but most people wouldn't catch that by my appearance. Many times my wife and I are mistaken for being an inter-racial couple.
I hear "Cambridge" and "black" or "African American" and all I can think of is this story: Harvard professor Gates arrested at Cambridge home - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
This French community has hit irreversible decline a long, long time ago:

Majastres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check its population history! It does have a mayor, though.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This French community has hit irreversible decline a long, long time ago:

Majastres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check its population history! It does have a mayor, though.
Never had a population over 300. How does a town have a mayor when only 2 people live there? Would it be a husband and wife, and the husband is not only the man of the house but the Mayor? Lol.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Would it be a husband and wife, and the husband is not only the man of the house but the Mayor? Lol.
Could be the other way around, too.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Could be the other way around, too.
I wonder what would happen if the 2 voters each picked a different candidate. The election would be deadlocked .

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Tipping points are realized when things become out of balance. Poverty is the main factor. It doesn't matter what the racial make up is when it comes to poverty. Poverty will cause outward migration of wealthier residents because it inevitably will lead to a decline in the educational programs in the city due to the economic strains associated with the necessary supports needed to address the effects of poverty. Those who are higher up the economic ladder place a high value on education and will leave for better performing districts (usually suburban). This leaves the city with a big hole in the middle of its demographics. As the problems of poverty affect personal safety, the older population, without kids in school, will leave since crime and personal safety are important factors in their decision of where to reside.

It starts with a national cultural identity which articulates core American values. Then it needs to be backed up with changes to education, health care, social services, environmental and economic policies.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Tipping points are realized when things become out of balance. Poverty is the main factor. It doesn't matter what the racial make up is when it comes to poverty. Poverty will cause outward migration of wealthier residents because it inevitably will lead to a decline in the educational programs in the city due to the economic strains associated with the necessary supports needed to address the effects of poverty. Those who are higher up the economic ladder place a high value on education and will leave for better performing districts (usually suburban). This leaves the city with a big hole in the middle of its demographics. As the problems of poverty affect personal safety, the older population, without kids in school, will leave since crime and personal safety are important factors in their decision of where to reside.

It starts with a national cultural identity which articulates core American values. Then it needs to be backed up with changes to education, health care, social services, environmental and economic policies.
Agreed! Race is not the dividing factor, but it is a common effect from cities that experience outward migration of wealth.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM

238 posts, read 590,183 times
cities reach irreversible decline

I believe East St Louis has

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM

183 posts, read 298,420 times
There is no demographic tipping point into an irreversible decline due to race or social conditions. Its due to the economic diversity of an area. If you look at it, Detroit has fallen to the state that it's in because for years, the city has overly relied on one industry and that one industry that it relied on collapsed. Detroit's population exploded due to the auto industry and at the time, the auto industry was booming. There was money to be made in Detroit and you had a lot of middle class in the city. Once the auto industry collapsed, people, both black and white with resources or an education left either for the suburbs if they were able to find another job or remain in the auto industry or they left for other cities in massive numbers. Now you have only a shell of a city and an extremely high unemployment rate. The only ones that stayed are those who do not have the resources to move or little skills to obtain a better job elsewhere. Now DC, NYC, Baltimore, and Atlanta were all cities once in a decline with extremely high poverty rates, but they all have a huge thing that Detroit didn't have, a diversified economy. Both blacks and whites with resources all fled those cities in large numbers and many parts of NYC, DC, and Baltimore had areas that looked similar to Detroit and each of these cities including ATL had parts of the city that were complete war zones within their city limits. However, the diverse economy and the availability of jobs have all helped these cities come back. So all in all, no, there isn't a tipping point due to having too many blacks or a high poverty rate. That is just ignorance IMO.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
The political correctness that permeates this thread is comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning