U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who goes home and watches TV?
what about going home and going on CD?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
what about going home and going on CD?
I do that when I'm at work.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,878,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Are you just bitter because you live in what appears to me the epitome of sprawl? Newtown Square, PA - Google Maps

Despite their "endless sprawl" San Jose and Los Angeles are both interesting cities and would be without mass media (Okay, well LA might have been a completely different city without media ).

I get your hypothesis but I don't think it holds water at all. People are just lazy now, whether they are living in an urban environment as well as super-sprawl like Newtown Square.
Newtown Square actually has relatively little soulless sprawl. The "super-sprawl" you're talking about is more characteristic of nearby Glen Mills or Garnet Valley. There's a little bit in the way of mid-century tract housing, strip malls, and modern Toll Brothers developments, but a lot of the zip code enjoys a bucolic, "country estate" backdrop, where charming custom construction is the rule and not the exception. I can't post them here because it was a TOS violation, but look up homes for sale in the 19073 zip code. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I agree that the OP's hypothesis is BS though. People moved out to the suburbs (sprawling or otherwise) for a variety of reasons both "legitimate" (fresh air, open space, good public schools, etc.) and "illegitimate" (racism, elitism, etc.). That's why many people go there to stay, not because they're molly-coddled by the boob tube.

After all, everyone knows the government is really after our precious bodily fluids.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Anyone bothered to mention the fact that the suburb predates both the radio and anything resembling the widespread adoption of the automobile? Interestingly, the Internet and smartphones are often cited as part of the reason my generation are less interested in driving and more in urban living... the radio at work, I suppose?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 PM

86,993 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:

Are there no books in the suburbs?

Do city people spend all their time at the opera? (LMAO)

Who comes up with these ridiculous, narrow-minded premises?
^^This.

My spouse grew up in "the city" and is far more addicted to TV than I am. It's an individual thing.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Anyone bothered to mention the fact that the suburb predates both the radio and anything resembling the widespread adoption of the automobile? Interestingly, the Internet and smartphones are often cited as part of the reason my generation are less interested in driving and more in urban living... the radio at work, I suppose?
We were focused on the ridiculous, not the factual. Go figure.

Thanks for being level-headed!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Fair enough =D

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,604,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The reason I didn't mention the internet because it actually does the opposite of TV and radio. It promotes real human interaction instead of providing an alternative.

But it's not about what's on the radio or TV, that is a whole different topic. That in itself has too much power, it alone could spread mass fear of either urban or suburban living. It's a miracle it's losing it's ability to do that since so many people are turning away from it now. But it's sad the potential it could have been used for.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
ME

Quote:
Are there no books in the suburbs?
We have one library and a barnes and noble in a suburb of 60,000 people. i can't think of the name but there is some kind of tablet that you can read books on.

Quote:
Do city people spend all their time at the opera? (LMAO)
No they spend all their time complaining about suburbanites.

Quote:
Who comes up with these ridiculous, narrow-minded premises?
Ridiculous narrow minded people.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM

86,993 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
The reason I didn't mention the internet because it actually does the opposite of TV and radio. It promotes real human interaction instead of providing an alternative.

But it's not about what's on the radio or TV, that is a whole different topic. That in itself has too much power, it alone could spread mass fear of either urban or suburban living. It's a miracle it's losing it's ability to do that since so many people are turning away from it now. But it's sad the potential it could have been used for.
Oh, baloney! The internet promotes activities like hanging out on forums like this, instead of interacting with real humans face to face. But users can always find an excuse for their own vices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or