U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,716,650 times
Reputation: 2538

Advertisements

I take it the OPs premise is that TV, like religion, is an opiate of the people that allows them to tolerate the otherwise intolerable.

Perhaps not TV, but its a good question as to why people continue to live in grim surroundings when many have such better options.

Not sure why one would willingly subject themselves and their families to sprawl... Perhaps it has something to do with overvaluing personal space.

 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,442 posts, read 9,885,235 times
Reputation: 4691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Not sure why one would willingly subject themselves and their families to sprawl... Perhaps it has something to do with overvaluing personal space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
People moved out to the suburbs (sprawling or otherwise) for a variety of reasons both "legitimate" (fresh air, open space, good public schools, etc.) and "illegitimate" (racism, elitism, etc.). That's why many people go there to stay, not because they're molly-coddled by the boob tube.
And what does "overvaluing personal space" mean? Is it morally unacceptable for a family of four to want something bigger than a 1,200 square foot townhouse?
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,716,650 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And what does "overvaluing personal space" mean? Is it morally unacceptable for a family of four to want something bigger than a 1,200 square foot townhouse?
Not sure where your getting morals.

I simply mean that an emphasis on the size/newness of a home is so grossly and disproportionately valued as compare to objectively more important factors such as proximity to employment, vitality, cultural amenities, safety, raising children in a stimulating environment, etc.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,386 posts, read 59,868,870 times
Reputation: 54029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I take it the OPs premise is that TV, like religion, is an opiate of the people that allows them to tolerate the otherwise intolerable.
You mean like Sean Hannity and Honey Boo Boo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I simply mean that an emphasis on the size/newness of a home is so grossly and disproportionately valued as compare to objectively more important factors such as proximity to employment, vitality, cultural amenities, safety, raising children in a stimulating environment, etc.
Say what? Often times when people move to the 'burbs it is for reasons of proximity to employment (not everyone works downtown), safety (no explanation needed; not saying many city 'hoods aren't safe so don't get your dander up), vitality (community and school events, festivals, etc.) , and raising children in a stimulating environment (better schools). Those reasons don't trump a bigger or newer house?

Not sure why "cultural amenities" are so important; one can always drive to the opera, can't one? No doubt most of the city folk who attend opera drive as well. That's why there are all those a big ol' parking garages next to the concert halls ...
 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Monmouth County, NJ & Staten Island, NY
407 posts, read 407,778 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I simply mean that an emphasis on the size/newness of a home is so grossly and disproportionately valued as compare to objectively more important factors such as proximity to employment, vitality, cultural amenities, safety, raising children in a stimulating environment, etc.
Nope, actually these just sound like your opinions.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,716,650 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Nope, actually these just sound like your opinions.
Clearly they're more than just my opinion. Looking at typical real estate prices alone one can easily see people put quite a premium for living in the central city (maybe not Detroit, but most other cities not in collapse are experiencing tremendous demand. People demand and are willing to pay extra to live in something that is not sprawl (honestly, no surprise there), yet large numbers of people continue to opt to live in places they hate or merely tolerate. I guess they tell themselves that the imoressive two story foyer and great room are worth it.

But back to the OPs point, what allows then to stay year after year? Distractions by TV is an interesting theorem...I think it's a bit larger than that. People end up loving their personal space (the double stair case at entryway, the media room, the bonus room lovingly turned into a child's den) but either dispise (or are blind to) the hostile brutal world existing just outside their little piece of sprawl. So yes, to the OP, TV in a sense makes them numb to the reality of day-to-day existence, but I'll posit its the entire home, from the oil rubbed bronze hardware, to the three car garages that creates a pocket of unreality that allows them to forget what's just outside their windows.

Last edited by Komeht; 03-13-2013 at 08:10 AM..
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
 
2,923 posts, read 3,119,387 times
Reputation: 1498
Don't you live in Austin, the Mecca of Sprawl?

Also outside of a spattering of sun belt and major cities, cities fail to command a premium value over suburbs. Incomes lag suburbs and crime is two to three times higher in cities per capita. Happy to provide numerous sources in the event the "Interweb" is confusing.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,386 posts, read 59,868,870 times
Reputation: 54029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Propel end up loving their personal space (the double stair case at entryway, the media room, the bonus room lovingly turned into a child's den) but either dispise (or are blind to) the hostile brutal world existing just outside their little piece of sprawl.
I love a little comedy with my morning coffee.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
 
2,923 posts, read 3,119,387 times
Reputation: 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love a little comedy with my morning coffee.
I agree Ohio. Perhaps his world is brutal BECAUSE he lives in a city. HA!
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,716,650 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Don't you live in Austin, the Mecca of Sprawl?

Also outside of a spattering of sun belt and major cities, cities fail to command a premium value over suburbs. Incomes lag suburbs and crime is two to three times higher in cities per capita. Happy to provide numerous sources in the event the "Interweb" is confusing.
Austin is absolutely home to horrific amounts of sprawl. I wouldn't call it the Mecca of sprawl (Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix can vie for that ignominious crown.) But life choking sprawl of the worst kind exists here.


I also happen to live in a central city neighborhood a few minutes from the heart of the the incredibly vibrant and always lively CBD - this week it's SXSW filling our streets with visitors from all over the world! I rarely venture north of 45th, south or Oltorf or west of Town Lake or east of 183 unless I'm going someplace else.

Each time I do, I'm reminded why I'm both so thankful to live in my central Austin urban home and aghast at the horrors that surround me and the people who must live suck lives of quiet desperation out there.

Last edited by Komeht; 03-13-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top