U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. And I will add that they (the "suburbanites") may not want to pay the cost premium that goes along with desirable inner city and charming inner ring suburban neighborhoods.

[choice - what a simple concept]
Link to me being against choice?

I don't disagree people are free to make choices.

[even terrible choices]

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I don't disagree people are free to make choices.

[even terrible choices]
To you, living in the 'burbs is a terrible choice.

To other people, suburban living is a desirable choice.

Why is this fact so hard to grasp?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
To you, living in the 'burbs is a terrible choice.

Why is this fact so hard to grasp?
People who live in sprawl may justify the misery by covering up the failings of suburbia to live up to the promise...some sit behind gated communities, modern fortresses designed to hide the real world just outside and mollify the lack of community with luxe cars and live the "lifestyle" - but deep down they hate it. I don't mean they hate their house..they love their house. Their houses are the last stand, the castle within the walled city to keep the horrors of sprawl at bay.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,985,620 times
People dont live in real places any more They live in the Society of the Spectacle, AKA The Matrix.

Places are not places, they brands. And people experience them as brand promises.

Everything is in quotation marks.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Urbanism is healthy norm. Pathological is a good word to describe the diseased morbidity of sprawl.
Healthy? You think it's healthy to live so far out of sync with nature that all your food has to be trucked in? I've heard "city" people, on this forum, say their kids have never seen a cow, don't know how to walk in grass, etc.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM

1,690 posts, read 1,735,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

That's correct, there are many people that are afraid to be different/unique. People that don't like having to make any real important decisions (unless it's picking what brand of soap they buy at the supermarket).

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Healthy? You think it's healthy to live so far out of sync with nature that all your food has to be trucked in? I've heard "city" people, on this forum, say their kids have never seen a cow, don't know how to walk in grass, etc.
Food has to be trucked in the suburbs as much cities. I can't remember seeing cows anywhere near where I grew up, though there probably was a small farm tucked in somewhere.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

1,690 posts, read 1,735,195 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous, any city is going to have a bunch of parks with grass in them and much more. Also, progressive cities are starting to acquire their food from local farms, if not growing it outright inside/on top of buildings and warehouses.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Newsflash:

Cows don't live here:

or office out of a fine office park like this:

or shop for their grain here:

but people who live in sprawl do

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
That's ridiculous, any city is going to have a bunch of parks with grass in them and much more. Also, progressive cities are starting to acquire their food from local farms, if not growing it outright inside/on top of buildings and warehouses.
People have said this stuff on this forum, so don't tell me I'm being ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or