U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

People will also lose jobs in public transit, of course. I can't think of anything which in theory should be easier to automate than trains, for example. I'm having a hard time figuring out how public transit systems will delineate where their own (automated bus and paratransit) systems end and the for-profit car-sharing services begin, as the differences between them grow fuzzier.
Trains on some systems are already automated bart for instance, but in the 60ies it was found that having a driver made commuters feel safer, drivers would be useful for security reasons and to handle things that were not planned for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM

10,540 posts, read 7,513,574 times
I am curious: How many of you would pay more to drive yourself around? If an automated taxi was cheaper would you still pay more to drive yourself?

Personally, I would still occasionally go on drives on twisty country roads or a track as I do now. But I do not feel the need to pay for the privileged of sitting in traffic on my commute every day or running to the grocery store.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
People will always want some form of personal transportation. You will not put that genie back into the bottle with any replacement that involves sharing, planning in advance, etc.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am curious: How many of you would pay more to drive yourself around? If an automated taxi was cheaper would you still pay more to drive yourself?
Automated anything in a car freaks me out. I drive a manual shift car with manual brakes and steering (not easy to find!). I tried cruise control and couldn't stand it. The windows and sunroof are electric, and I'd rather they crank. At least the central electric door locks have a manual override.

I need a '55 Studebaker ...

But no, I would pay more to drive myself. I'd have to have a car anyway, to go places that automated taxis won't take me, so why would I rent a car when I already have one?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
I think the more automated private travel becomes, public transit share will grow higher. I mean public in the shared sense.

The computer thinking for all of us by then is going to realize common patterns in travel and optimize for greatest efficiency.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I need a '55 Studebaker ...
Wokka Wokka:

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 03-14-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: fixed image

Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM

10,540 posts, read 7,513,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I drive a manual shift car with manual brakes and steering (not easy to find!). I tried cruise control and couldn't stand it.
I drive stick too, IMO it is the only way to drive. But I also do it because it is cheaper (to buy and maintain). If you are going to drive, do it right.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Can someone explain to me how this would reduce traffic?
Traffic jams are mostly caused by human error essentially. Someone taps on their brakes needlessly because someone in front of them slows down slightly, which filters back through the line to people braking harder and harder. Before you know it, there's actual congestion. Other examples of human error which causes jams are gridlock (people edging into intersections when they don't have room, hence stopping the opposing lane from moving) and people merging into lanes poorly.

It's worth noting in theory an intersection with 100% driverless cars doesn't even need to have traffic lights. Simulations have been done where each car simply determines the minimum space needed between other cars and adjusts speed up and down accordingly, and even in congested areas, driverless cars could still make right and even left turns without traffic signals.

Quote:
I don't want to read the paper or do homework while I'm in the car. I would never be able to concentrate or focus as the car makes turns, stops, etc.
I can understand, but it's not like you control a bus or plane right now. Planes in particular are now mostly automated during descent. It's mostly a cultural/generational thing, and people will get used to something different as the oldsters used to driving die off.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how the improved safety measures and fewer car accidents can compensate for the fact that millions of people will lose their jobs, the logistics of this entire system will take years upon years of headaches to figure out, and most of all, I will never be able to enjoy a ride on a summer day with the windows down.
1. The job issue sux, but other things (like 3D printing) will probably eliminate even more jobs in the longer run.
2. There is no logistical headache to figure out initially. Autonomous cars can interact just fine with human drivers at normal human driving speeds. The advantages multiply once you have them on autonomous only roads, but aside from having dedicated carpool-like lanes on the highway, we can't really do this until driven cars are banned from most roadways, and that is probably 40-50 years away.
3. Why can't you enjoy a ride with the windows down in a driverless car? The wind factor should be the same, and your leg won't start hurting on long drives due to perpetually being on the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People will always want some form of personal transportation. You will not put that genie back into the bottle with any replacement that involves sharing, planning in advance, etc.
I'm not so sure. Look at the transition from books to ebooks. While we own books, we only "rent" ebooks. We can't currently sell them to anyone else, and except in the Amazon system, we can't even lend them to friends (and even then, only with limitations). If people have accepted this huge loss of control, many people will accept loss of car ownership if new technological positives go along with it.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:

I'm not so sure. Look at the transition from books to ebooks. While we own books, we only "rent" ebooks. We can't currently sell them to anyone else, and except in the Amazon system, we can't even lend them to friends (and even then, only with limitations). If people have accepted this huge loss of control, many people will accept loss of car ownership if new technological positives go along with it.
Apples to airplanes. Books have nothing to do with personal transportation. Reading for fun was going down long before ebooks.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,676 times
Quote:

People bought books for thier own use. Selling the book or lending it out were not the reason why you bought it. Ebooks allow you to carry more books(as much as the device will allow) as well as reduce cluter around the house and in a sense you don't rent an e-books(it is a one time purchase, not something you pay for by use like taxi or a car retal). Driverless cars don't offer enough rightnow nor do I see a shift to a taxi service happing just from automation. Having the car at hand ready to go anywhere at anytime outwieghs waiting for a car to become available and pull up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or