Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,660 times

Advertisements

Whether people are drunk, distracted, dumb, or for whatever other reason they end up going the wrong way on a one-way road, it shouldn't take them too long for them too realize they're doing so. Unfortunately, however, the roads in the US are pretty ambiguous as to which direction they are heading.

One time when I was driving on a divided highway, I saw some signs which were facing the opposite direction and it caused me to freak out for a second. When I looked it my rearview mirror, I saw they were just signs posted up that said "wrong way." I realized shortly afterwards that this was probably the "wrong way" to indicate that people are heading in the wrong direction.

Take a look at this following image for example. Is there any way to tell if you're going in the right or wrong direction?

Nope, not really.

But a little bit of additional paint could make it a bit more obvious:

This seems like a simple and cost-effective solution, but is there any good reason why this isn't already being done? I'm sure it could potentially save a lot of lives, since high-speed, head-on collisions seem to be a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Here's an example in an urban setting (Albuquerque).

Anyone willing to take a gander as to whether we'd be heading in the right or wrong direction?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
But one does not enter onto these limited-access roadways from the air. Guessing as to the direction of this roadway is meaningless if not looking at the entrance.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Here's an example in an urban setting (Albuquerque).

Anyone willing to take a gander as to whether we'd be heading in the right or wrong direction?
Looks like the camera is facing the 'right' direction. The lines on the right hand side are yellow, right? It's kinda hard to tell with glare.

But either way, if you're tired or drunk, I don't think signs and markings would help either way. Those little divets in the side of the road might though.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Do we have some kind of epidemic of people driving the wrong way on divided freeways that I am not aware of?

This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Do we have some kind of epidemic of people driving the wrong way on divided freeways that I am not aware of?

That is literally what I thought when I read the OP.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
But one does not enter onto these limited-access roadways from the air. Guessing as to the direction of this roadway is meaningless if not looking at the entrance.
True, but unfortunately sometimes people miss the cues that tell them not to go a certain direction on a street, and when that happens sometimes the next clue is a car heading right at them.

One time when I first started driving (luckily it's never happened since) I turned onto a street downtown, and there was a guy crossing the street who didn't seem like he was paying attention. He stopped and looked at me and gave me a strange look and gesture, and right when I was trying to figure out what he was doing I saw cars in all 3 lanes heading in my direction, so I turned off the road right then and there.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Looks like the camera is facing the 'right' direction. The lines on the right hand side are yellow, right? It's kinda hard to tell with glare.
It's actually facing against traffic. To the left is a bike lane and to the right is a shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
But either way, if you're tired or drunk, I don't think signs and markings would help either way. Those little divets in the side of the road might though.
In an ideal world nobody is tired or drunk or distracted, but unfortunately that's hardly the case. If the roads were built to be 'drunkproof' they could be safer for everyone.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

Here in NM there seem to be a few each year, not sure about the rest of the country, though.

According to Wikipedia, "U.S. statistics show that in 2005, head-on crashes were only 2.0% of all crashes, yet accounted for 10.1% of US fatal crashes."

I'm not sure, however, how many of those were on divided highways compared to 2-way roads.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Here in NM there seem to be a few each year, not sure about the rest of the country, though.

According to Wikipedia, "U.S. statistics show that in 2005, head-on crashes were only 2.0% of all crashes, yet accounted for 10.1% of US fatal crashes."

I'm not sure, however, how many of those were on divided highways compared to 2-way roads.
Perhaps a little data first. . .I mean - the only time I've seen someone drive the wrong way down a divided freeway is in a movie.

Unless you're drinking some serious firewater out in Albuquerque I seriously doubt this is a pressing issue. It's actually really hard to end up the wrong way on a divided freeway - even blotto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning