Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times

Advertisements

Had a very city data-esque conversation at the airport today with a stranger, we were talking about how crowded certain neighborhoods of particular cities felt, and we started our own little city vs. city debate.

It got me thinking, what is the densest square mile in your city? Lets be clear, I am not talking about some .2 sq mile plot with a couple highrises that happens to have it's own census track, I am talking about 1 square mile.

I would wager that if you were to rank them from densest to least, the top 50 or so would all be New York City, so I am curious what other cities densest parts look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Am estimating but would think for Philly it would be say 20th to 7th streets and Walnut to South Streets. Basically Rittenhouse Sq and Washington West neighborhoods in Philadelphia

Based on quick perusal of the NY Times tract density map would estimate between 52-58K ppsm for that area which would be very close to one square mile (though more in the rectangular form)

There are also maybe 2 or 3 additional sections in South Philly that would be in the 40-45K ppsm range on the continuum (100 years ago these numbers would have been far higher)

Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times
Estimating for Chicago, my guess is the area bound by North-Dearborn-Kinzie-Lake Michigan (not a perfect square), would be the densest in Chicago, this area includes River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, which are all a part of the Near North Side. My numbers give an estimate of 50-55K ppsm.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,628,503 times
The densest square mile in Albuquerque is.........drumroll....... meh who cares, it hardly amounts to very much density.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,763,767 times
In Los Angeles it is probable the area bounded by Rampart and Hoover on the West, Pico on the South, 3rd on the North and the 110 Freeway on the East. This is the general area: http://goo.gl/maps/5QFb4

Pretty tough to accurately estimate the density, but the tracts in this area range from 17.5k to 90k. Doing a simple average of the census tracts is 45k ppsm, and the median of those tracts is 44k ppsm - I'll assume those numbers are pretty close to actual density.

I would imagine the top 10 of these are mostly in NYC, maybe San Francisco, Chicago, LA or Philly could squeak in something around 6th - 10th place.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM

507 posts, read 802,451 times
For LA it's easily the area of Witmer/Hoover/Beverly/Venice

Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM

507 posts, read 802,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In Los Angeles it is probable the area bounded by Rampart and Hoover on the West, Pico on the South, 3rd on the North and the 110 Freeway on the East. This is the general area: Pico / Hoover to Pico / Hoover - Google Maps

Pretty tough to accurately estimate the density, but the tracts in this area range from 17.5k to 90k. Doing a simple average of the census tracts is 45k ppsm, and the median of those tracts is 44k ppsm - I'll assume those numbers are pretty close to actual density.

I would imagine the top 10 of these are mostly in NYC, maybe San Francisco, Chicago, LA or Philly could squeak in something around 6th - 10th place.
Just saw me and you were thinking of the same area

Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In Los Angeles it is probable the area bounded by Rampart and Hoover on the West, Pico on the South, 3rd on the North and the 110 Freeway on the East. This is the general area: Pico / Hoover to Pico / Hoover - Google Maps

maybe SF but not sure for the top ten, dont think the 55K of Philly would punch through honestly for the top ten

Manhattan average density is 69Kppsm and that is like 23 sq miles

Imagine the top 10 1 sq mile areas are much higher than the average for Manhattan

Think most other places are vieing for 11-20 really also dont forget some parts o BK and the BX and Boston. Also DC has some high 40-50 clusters around Dupont Circle, not sure if it would make a sq mile but would be close.

FWIW I like Dupont Circle area more and more with time

Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Just saw me and you were thinking of the same area
I bet a square mile in Koreatown would get you something pretty close too, bounded by Hoover / Olympic / Western / 3rd. Probably about 40-45k ppsm in that area too.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
maybe SF but not sure for the top ten, dont think the 55K of Philly would punch through honestly for the top ten

Manhattan average density is 69Kppsm and that is like 23 sq miles

Imagine the top 10 1 sq mile areas are much higher than the average for Manhattan

Think most other places are vieing for 11-20 really also dont forget some parts o BK and the BX and Boston. Also DC has some high 40-50 clusters around Dupont Circle, not sure if it would make a sq mile but would be close.

FWIW I like Dupont Circle area more and more with time
Good point - probably should push anything non-NYC beyond the top 10.
DC and Boston would probably be up there too with Chicago, LA, SF, Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning