U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Cities were destroyed by the So-Called greatest generation and left to fester by the boomers. GenX has been instrumental in a return to sanity that Millennials have embraced with a passion. Their children will wonder how we lost our collective minds and truly live in a a transformed world.
What TF ever.

So what's your plan to save the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's a Philadelphia Inquirer columnist who just wants to cut I-95 entirely.
That would be entertaining, to say the least? We could just shunt everyone off into New Jersey and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What TF ever.

Deny people the choice of where to live and force everyone into the urban core.

[and like it]

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times
Quote:
That would be entertaining, to say the least? We could just shunt everyone off into New Jersey and be done with it.
Not quite that radical. She wants to cut I-95 from I-76 to I-676... so you'd shunt everyone onto the Surekill Distressway, Roosevelt Boulevard, and the Vine Street expressway instead. Because those roads are so underutilized as it is :-)

Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM

14,057 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Quote:
What TF ever.

More likely, just drive the jobs off the the 'burbs. San Francisco and Seattle's refusal to build infrastructure pretty much ensured that, so this is just the natural progression.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
San Francisco and Seattle are not struggling. They are also not absent of downtown freeways.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,030,520 times
Didn't SF demo its downtown riverfront freeway? It looked pretty ugly if I remember it correctly. And I think Seattle has plans to do something with its riverfront freeway as well.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,103,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe, but what replaced the Big Dig is still a dead zone:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...269.58,,0,0.94

Large divided road instead with lights, and green space in the middle. The green space is nice, but the setting is still too noisy. And the space is really wide and feels like a barrier. I haven't been to Boston pre-Big Dig to see how it compares, but it's hard to bring back what was lost.
Yeah not the best for crossing - kinda cuts off the North End. Walking along it is nice though.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Didn't SF demo its downtown riverfront freeway? It looked pretty ugly if I remember it correctly. And I think Seattle has plans to do something with its riverfront freeway as well.
Yes, I was mistaken - the Embarcadero Freeway did get demolished.

Seattle's earthquake-damaged highway 99 will be replaced by a tunnel under the Puget Sound. Interstate 5 still runs very much through downtown, though, and it isn't going anywhere.

I'm quite surprised anyone believes these measures are sealing the fate of these cities. Both have quite strong economies. Demolishing a freeway allows for more land to be developed, creating more jobs, more tax revenue, more housing, etc.

Vancouver has no downtown freeway and yeah, it's doing pretty damn well.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM

14,057 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
In a round about way. After Loma Prieta, they decided not to rebuilt it and it was eventually replaced with the Boulevard that now runs in its place. It's a complete pain in the ass to navigate around, but it is much prettier.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah not the best for crossing - kinda cuts off the North End. Walking along it is nice though.
Meh. I don't care for walking by noisy roads.

Last edited by nei; 03-14-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning