U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Urban
Chicago 114 79.17%
Los Angeles 30 20.83%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 AM

403 posts, read 521,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Here are some other examples of dense walkable neighborhoods far from the core of Los Angeles in the city of Long Beach which is about 20 miles away from downtown LA.

4th street and cherry avenue long beach ca - Google Maps
2nd Street and Park Avenue Long Beach CA - Google Maps
ocean avenue and orange ave Long Beach CA - Google Maps
ocean avenue and orange ave Long Beach CA - Google Maps
pine avenue and ocean avenue Long Beach CA - Google Maps
broadway avenue and redondo avenue Long Beach CA - Google Maps
anaheim avenue and redondo avenue Long Beach CA - Google Maps
san antonio avenue and atlantic avenue Long Beach CA - Google Maps
magnolia avenue and 6th street Long Beach CA - Google Maps
Well Long Beach is a city of its own, not really a suburb of L.A, just like Oakland is the SF Metro
And those pictures are nice but I didn't see anything dense or walkable here ... Walkable in L.A is more like this :
Promenade Cafe, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA, United States - Google Maps
Venice beach - Google Maps
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Los Angeles metro is more urban.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM

201 posts, read 377,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Well Long Beach is a city of its own, not really a suburb of L.A, just like Oakland is the SF Metro
And those pictures are nice but I didn't see anything dense or walkable here ... Walkable in L.A is more like this :
Promenade Cafe, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA, United States - Google Maps
Venice beach - Google Maps

Tell me something I don't already know, I'm well aware Long Beach is it's own city and so is the majority of southern california cities in the LA metro. Still it's part of the greater metro area in which Los Angeles is the dominate city. In Chicago Evanston, Naperville, Elgin, Arlington Heights, Cicero, Skokie, etc are all their own cities but still are considered suburbs of this metro. So my point is these areas are far from the larger city LA, and yet not some sparsely populated Exburb like so many other american cities metros.

The photos I posted are of dense walkable areas where the locals can easily walk to the shops and have access to public transportation. I can't think of many Chicago suburbs that have anything similar, Evanston is one of the few. In some of Chicago's suburbs I know they have downtowns that are close to metra stations but overall from my experience living there they don't have many suburbs set up in the same manner as LA's

Besides those walkable areas you posted in Venice and Santa Monica are mostly tourist zones and people drive to them and then walk. The ones I posted are of actual areas where many people in the local community venture to by the locals, and if they so choose they don't need to drive since they easily reachable by foot, some are just at the end of the block.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Chicago has the densest census tract in the United States, a 500k ppsm anomaly: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beyond...7633049989738/

But really, I think this graph shows that Chicago is heads and shoulders above Los Angeles, at least in the core. Ignoring NYC, San Francisco seems to be the only other city that is close to Chicago in its housing units per square mile.

The good news is Los Angeles is no slouch either, and is just about even with Philadelphia, Boston and DC.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,896,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Mexico city may have a denser population than Chicago but i wouldn't call it more urban.
I would - have you ever been to Mexico City? It is far more bustling, crowded, and densely built than Chciago.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,510,360 times
Easy... Chicago

Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Chicago of 1950 would be clearly ahead. Just this out for the differences:

Chicago community area populations 1950 vs. 2010 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
You can't be serious. It would be easy to find FAR more urban cities than Chicago right here in the U.S. NYC, anyone?

And globally? I would say almost all cities Chicago's size (9 million+) feel more urban than Chicago. Chicago is actually very non-urban compared to most major cities of its size.

The vast majority of Chicagoland residents live in single family homes on spacious lots, while in most major global cities people live in apartment buildings or extremely tiny single family home lots.

Chicago only feels dense downtown, but 95% of the metro area doesn't feel dense by huge city standards.
This. Chicago is a very American city.

Why is this question even being asked?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
What is it with these "ubanity" contests on this forum?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is it with these "ubanity" contests on this forum?
Urban = Superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or