U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Urban
Chicago 114 79.17%
Los Angeles 30 20.83%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

28,249 posts, read 26,220,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I grew up in the suburbs of LA and I also grew up in LA proper and lived there for quite a while (I also grew up and lived in various parts of East Asia including big, dense cities with the vibrancy that the US seldom sees as well as out in the countryside (and I mean countryside as in terraced rice paddies, twenty minute scooter ride to town, catching frogs in the fields for eating) and villages of East Asia).
Quote:
Also, I've lived in at least one month stretches (but often longer) in over a dozen places in NYC over six going on seven years. I've hit all the boroughs (and multiple neighborhoods) except Staten Island and have done Westchester as well. It's been fun and I do feel decently comfortable talking about some NYC neighborhoods more than others when I've actually lived in the general area before.
So either you're the Asian version of James Bond or you're moving to avoid some serious child support obligations. Which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Sure - here are a couple more.

7th from Figueroa to San Pedro
Yucca Street from Highland to Cahuenga
Wilshire from Roberston to Santa Monica Blvd
Robertson from Beverly to Olympic

Not really trying to blow you away with the urban-ness with these, just give a slice of a couple different places in Los Angeles that have decent structure.
No, that is good structural density. And the pedestrian presence is stronger so I would be inclined to walk a much longer distance on that route.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,581,714 times
A few more, at roughly half a mile:

LA:

Google Street View Hyperlapse

Chicago:

Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,103,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, that is good structural density. And the pedestrian presence is stronger so I would be inclined to walk a much longer distance on that route.
I'm assuming you are talking about 7th Street. It's probably the most "complete" of the DTLA streets and turning into a pretty formidable "restaurant row" - including Bottega Louie which was ranked "most popular" restaurant by Yelp, whatever that means. Also because it runs E-W it gives you a pretty decent cross-section of DTLA - Financial District, Jewelry District, Historic Core, Skid Row.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about 7th Street. It's probably the most "complete" of the DTLA streets and turning into a pretty formidable "restaurant row" - including Bottega Louie which was ranked "most popular" restaurant by Yelp, whatever that means. Also because it runs E-W it gives you a pretty decent cross-section of DTLA - Financial District, Jewelry District, Historic Core, Skid Row.
Yes, that's what I was talking about. That indeed is very urban.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM

940 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Regarding the discussion on how much and which Angelenos know about central LA: Los Angeles is unfortunately the posterchild when it comes to metropolitan residents not knowing about their region's urban core. It was only very recently (within the past decade) that Downtown started to become a place that draws in a diverse mix of the region's residents. LA still lacks a central location for the region's culture... and I don't think whatever materializes downtown will ever truly feel like the "heart" of LA.

Growing up here, I used to take people on tours of central LA just to show them that a big, dense, historic city exists.

Also, I've found that cool/hip/young/adventurous/culture types in LA are much broader in their awareness of the metro region than, say, the comparable group in NYC (You have people like Jonathan Gold extolling the virtues of food all over the metro area, and this kind of exploratory, all-encompassing spirit is unique to LA), but that doesn't mean that the average Angeleno explores the entire metro area. I would wager that most Angelenos have very limited knowledge of the world beyond a 5-10 mile radius of their home. LA is famous for this kind of fragmentation and balkanization.

Personally, I think this creates a really exciting urban culture without a hierarchy of urban space. Everyone believes they live in the quintessential Los Angeles. At the same time, it can be frustrating because this means people have very little awareness of the incredible diversity of this region.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I work in film and programming (usually separately but sometimes together) on pretty good freelance for the last several years and travel a lot because of it; and my parents went through an incredibly long and messy divorce with multiple remarriages and divorces to others and some mild stalking and death threat issues along with it across two continents and multiple cities, so that accounts for the earlier years. TMI?
Nope. You should just snort some cocaine, write an autobiography, and run for office. That worked for this one guy I know.

But you're not a secret Muslim, are you?

And let's see that birth certificate while you're at it...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nope. You should just snort some cocaine, write an autobiography, and run for office. That worked for this one guy I know.

But you're not a secret Muslim, are you?

And let's see that birth certificate while you're at it...
Fair enough, it is the Internet.

Arguments about the actual bits regarding LA still apply.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, it is the Internet.

Arguments about the actual bits regarding LA still apply.
Nah, I wasn't doubting you. It was in jest.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Some more off-topic views. South Bronx:

Midway is rather crowded with pedestrians. London:

Starting to get to outer London:

Beacon St., Brookline to Boston:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or