U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Urban
Chicago 114 79.17%
Los Angeles 30 20.83%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,695,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
^^Thanks. I had forgotten about Mapping LA. Curious, what is it without the Gateway Cities?
166.44 sq miles
Population: 2,291,462
Density: 13,767 persons per sq mile

The big suburb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM

14,804 posts, read 19,063,269 times
I think the reason why people don't think of LA as "as urban" is because of some of the housing stock in LA. There is less (as has been shown) in the amount of actual housing structures in LA versus Chicago (albeit not by a ton) but in some areas it does appear to be "less urban" in the sense of how walkable it is, how concrete, etc.

BTW Raymond, I see you're from Pasadena. My dad grew up there. My grandmother's place wasn't too far from Victory Park.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,138,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think the reason why people don't think of LA as "as urban" is because of some of the housing stock in LA. There is less (as has been shown) in the amount of actual housing structures in LA versus Chicago (albeit not by a ton) but in some areas it does appear to be "less urban" in the sense of how walkable it is, how concrete, etc.

BTW Raymond, I see you're from Pasadena. My dad grew up there. My grandmother's place wasn't too far from Victory Park.
Hmm I think I sort of disagree... I think it is the pedestrian hostile patches along the commercial streets that form peoples opinion of LA as suburban. Strip mall = suburban for many people. Whole there are many SFH in LA there are also a ton of multi family residences. In fact I think the housing form and density may be the most urban aspect of LA.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM

14,804 posts, read 19,063,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hmm I think I sort of disagree... I think it is the pedestrian hostile patches along the commercial streets that form peoples opinion of LA as suburban. Strip mall = suburban for many people. Whole there are many SFH in LA there are also a ton of multi family residences. In fact I think the housing form and density may be the most urban aspect of LA.
I wasn't getting at that really. Even the multi family dwellings seem "different" in some areas and it's not as walkable on a larger level. I grew up going to LA every year for many years...while it's certainly dense in some areas (like Koreatown), there's a lot that don't seem as walkable as they should be.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 AM

940 posts, read 1,741,196 times
Agree with munchitup that the wide streets and space given over for parking are the primary contributors to LA not feeling as "big city" at street level as other big US cities.

I think it's helpful to think of LA as multiple cities (a la Minneapolis St. Paul or Dallas Fort Worth) when comparing it to other places. You have an approximately 1.5 million-resident city (comparable to Philadelphia) centered around downtown, almost touching a 400k-resident city centered on Santa Monica, with an 800k-resident city centered around Long Beach, and then a few other ~100k cities (Pasadena, Glendale, etc) scattered about.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,138,543 times
I'm not sure if it was this thread that it was discussed, but I mentioned that I prefer lively places that may have a less-than-stellar urban design but are densely populated with people and have a vibrant street-scene over places that have great urban design but lack a street-feel...

Well I was on vacation a few weeks ago and there is a new show called Vice TV (a spin off of the magazine) and they did a segment on China's "ghost cities", which are basically ground-up developments that are almost completely empty. One such ground-up city is a replica / homage to Paris. It has perfect urban design yet is empty.

The Official Website for the HBO Series VICE

Just an extreme example of great urban design (although I wouldn't really call it "great") with no people in it - sort of the counter to the "Mumbai slums have high density" argument, and thought it was worth mentioning.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM

28,307 posts, read 26,314,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm not sure if it was this thread that it was discussed, but I mentioned that I prefer lively places that may have a less-than-stellar urban design but are densely populated with people and have a vibrant street-scene over places that have great urban design but lack a street-feel...

Well I was on vacation a few weeks ago and there is a new show called Vice TV (a spin off of the magazine) and they did a segment on China's "ghost cities", which are basically ground-up developments that are almost completely empty. One such ground-up city is a replica / homage to Paris. It has perfect urban design yet is empty.

The Official Website for the HBO Series VICE

Just an extreme example of great urban design (although I wouldn't really call it "great") with no people in it - sort of the counter to the "Mumbai slums have high density" argument, and thought it was worth mentioning.
It was this thread. I think most people would also prefer that, but fortunately, it's not an either/or type of situation in nearly all cases. 99.99% of places with the "perfect urban design" are also places with high population density and active street life. And that perfect urban design makes the most use out of the high population density. It's like having the perfectly balanced sportscar with a turbo-charged engine rather than a minivan with a turbo-charged engine.

In many places in Brooklyn, you're in the street as soon as you get to the bottom of your stairs. During this time of year, most neighbors will just sit on the stoop and talk (or yell) at each other.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brookl...cbp=12,90,,0,0

The same is true in DC.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washin...12,169.94,,0,0

And Philly.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Philad...104.18,,0,-0.1

And that's sort of the "publicness" that nei was talking about (I think) when we were defining what's urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or