U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,836,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Then again, Albany does have the Egg:
That's all kinds of awesome.

I've been to Albany only once, when I was 17 (we won't talk about how long ago that was ... ), and all I remember is concrete. I could see how one could grow fond of that uber-modern feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
The rest of the urban core has amazing historic architecture, easily on par with anything San Francisco has to offer (and leagues ahead of Portland). (Obviously not on such a large scale as SF, though.)

Albany has lots of rowhouses with boxy bay windows over the top of entry doors that I never see anywhere else. Maybe Baltimore has some?? In my mind, it is a signature Albany thing! Love it!

albany, ny - Google Maps

They even show up on corner doors:
albany, ny - Google Maps

How cool is that?
Those are nice. These shots immediately made my think of Bolton Hill:

john st baltimore - Google Maps

I can't think of any boxy bay windows on three-story homes, but this block of two-story homes has half-hexagon bay windows: 3100 abell ave baltimore - Google Maps

Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,575,781 times
Beautiful! Baltimore is easily one of the most handsome cities in the country.

It's the way those bay windows in Albany hang over the front doors that really stands out to me as unique. The shape and the details also make them interesting, of course. I figured, since Baltimore has so many brick rowhouses, and I don't have much familiarity with it, it might have a chance to debunk my theory of uniqueness regarding the Albany architecture. Glad to hear it doesn't; it would detract a little from Albany's Albanyness in my mind.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Beautiful! Baltimore is easily one of the most handsome cities in the country.
*swoon*

Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's all kinds of awesome.

I've been to Albany only once, when I was 17 (we won't talk about how long ago that was ... ), and all I remember is concrete. I could see how one could grow fond of that uber-modern feel.
Hold the phone----Albany is not modern, in any way, shape or form. This is a city which had no new construction downtown for decades, had the same mayor for over 40 years ( Erastus Corning), and has some of the oldest housing stock in the nation. Albany is the antithesis of places like Phoenix and Los Angeles....and it's got the weather to prove it.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The rest of the urban core has amazing historic architecture, easily on par with anything San Francisco has to offer (and leagues ahead of Portland). (Obviously not on such a large scale as SF, though.)

Albany has lots of rowhouses with boxy bay windows over the top of entry doors that I never see anywhere else. Maybe Baltimore has some?? In my mind, it is a signature Albany thing! Love it!

albany, ny - Google Maps

They even show up on corner doors:
albany, ny - Google Maps

How cool is that?
The shot in Albany was taken about two blocks from the Albany Medical Center, and in front of Washington Park, if memory serves me correctly; some of the neighborhoods around Albany Med are bad, and some are quite nice ( on the other side of the hospital); it's like the difference between urban and suburban..

Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Hold the phone----Albany is not modern, in any way, shape or form. This is a city which had no new construction downtown for decades, had the same mayor for over 40 years ( Erastus Corning), and has some of the oldest housing stock in the nation. Albany is the antithesis of places like Phoenix and Los Angeles....and it's got the weather to prove it.
I believe she was referring to the modernist architectural style, of which Empire State Plaza is a pretty spectacular example.

Quote:
The shot in Albany was taken about two blocks from the Albany Medical Center, and in front of Washington Park, if memory serves me correctly; some of the neighborhoods around Albany Med are bad, and some are quite nice ( on the other side of the hospital); it's like the difference between urban and suburban..
Even though there are rough patches, the potential is mind-boggling. Albany feels like a really great mix of New England with a healthy splash of the Midwest. It's amazing how overbuilt its freeway system is, though, for a city its size. I figure it's because of state legislators (who distribute highway funds) driving in and out of there all the time.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I believe she was referring to the modernist architectural style, of which Empire State Plaza is a pretty spectacular example.

Even though there are rough patches, the potential is mind-boggling. Albany feels like a really great mix of New England with a healthy splash of the Midwest. It's amazing how overbuilt its freeway system is, though, for a city its size. I figure it's because of state legislators (who distribute highway funds) driving in and out of there all the time.
I agree about the modernistic Egg architecture, but it just looks a bit out-of-place in an old city like Albany, esp in the center of the city..

I also agree about the freeway system in the Capital District. All the interchanges around I-87 and I-90 between Albany, Schenectady and Troy ( and Watervliet, Cohoes, Colonie, Niskayuna, Guilderland, etc) make the driving pretty interesting around the area..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
It's also got the water to prove its spot on the map for centuries to come.

I think she meant modern in the way that people used it when things were frequently described as modern. Thinking 60s space age, modernIST type stuff.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM

They ruined the word 'modern' in that era. How arrogant of them to steal the word for their time and force future generations to use 'contemporary' in order to be unambiguous (or risk a silly argument about something being modern or not due to the resulting ambiguity, like what just started in this thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or