U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,816,131 times

Advertisements

Albany's too small by the OPs standards, but it would have been on my "No" list. Sorry, much of it aspires to be Camden but can't get that bad. Then a little bit aspires to be Portland. The very western end aspires to suburbia. Then there's this beautiful thing here: albany, ny - Google Maps

Albany's I-787 and the 787/90 intersection served as a poor stand-in for Washington, D.C. highways in _Salt_ -- I think the transition is when she jumps the railing from the Library of Congress plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM

7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
They ruined the word 'modern' in that era. How arrogant of them to steal the word for their time and force future generations to use 'contemporary' in order to be unambiguous (or risk a silly argument about something being modern or not due to the resulting ambiguity, like what just started in this thread).
I don't think that it's quite that serious, though..

I still have a tendency to think of post-WW2 housing as modern, although when compared with much of Albany's housing stock, it would be...

Albany's "attractiveness" lies in its affordability, but I really wouldn't call the city "beautiful", personally..

Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,632,650 times
Yes

Seattle
NYC
SF
Minneapolis
Montreal
Many more

No

El Paso
Albuquerque

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,575,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Albany's too small by the OPs standards, but it would have been on my "No" list. Sorry, much of it aspires to be Camden but can't get that bad. Then a little bit aspires to be Portland. The very western end aspires to suburbia. Then there's this beautiful thing here: albany, ny - Google Maps

Albany's I-787 and the 787/90 intersection served as a poor stand-in for Washington, D.C. highways in _Salt_ -- I think the transition is when she jumps the railing from the Library of Congress plaza.
Good point about OP's standards -- I missed that, or forgot it.

Most of what you said applies equally to a lot of the "darling" cities people pick, such as NYC. Much of it is a war zone. The eastern side aspires to be suburbia. There are a good amount of bombed-out looking buildings like in your Streetview link.

I would not say Albany wants to be Portland until it starts tearing down its historic building stock (since it has way more currently than Portland ever did) and installing rail transit. It has a bit of a granola thing going on, but it's more organic/less forced than Portland's deliberately crafted image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't think that it's quite that serious, though..

I still have a tendency to think of post-WW2 housing as modern, although when compared with much of Albany's housing stock, it would be...

Albany's "attractiveness" lies in its affordability, but I really wouldn't call the city "beautiful", personally..
The uber-modernism of Albany is only apparent at the government buildings downtown. Otherwise it's full of historic buildings in the urban core, and suburban densities further out.

The attractiveness is in the authenticity, the laidback style, the working class ethic, the intact historic built environment with stellar architecture, and above all gobs of potential.

I can't say I would enjoy living there -- I've never lived somewhere so small -- but it's one of my favorite places for visiting. There are a bunch of cool bars and shops, the best food co-op I've ever seen (Honest Weight), a bikeable historic center that is fun to just meander around. I wish they would do something with the riverfront (which would require managing all the freeway spaghetti to provide access). Anyway, the feeling when I'm there reminds me of being in a small city in Europe. The lack of appreciation for Albany shows me yet again how poor America's taste in cities is, and helps me see how we demolished or abandoned so much urban treasure in the name of progress.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You will be reassigned for 5 years - no choice. You may narrow down the selection to 5 US cities with census population of 350K or greater.
Just noticed this. Scratch Pittsburgh (311K) and Salt Lake (189K), also Albany at 97K.

Yes:
Minneapolis
Aurora, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Portland (maybe)
Can't think of a 5th as I can't use my own city, Pittsburgh, or Salt Lake City

No:

I wouldn't rule anything out after having lived in Champaign, IL for 7 years.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,584,982 times
Have lived in Miami, Seattle and NYC... will pass on those.
After moving around a fair bit, weather is where it's at for me, and Cali still has the best all-around climate!

So I'm spoiled and would prefer:
San Diego
Pasadena
San Mateo
Palm Springs
San Francisco

Would seriously dislike (though not 'hate'):
Bakersfield
Fresno
Sacramento
Redding
Riverside

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM

586 posts, read 806,693 times
Sydney, Australia
Dublin, Ireland
Los Angeles, USA
Berlin, Germany
Prague, Czech Republic
Rome, Italy

Those are my five. I always wanted to see most of these cities and a few others my ancestors came from the countries they are in. It's good you only ask for five because my list would probably have every city in the world.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Belfast Maine.
Bangor Maine.
Eastport Maine.
Camden Maine.
Brunswick Maine.

I'll just take Maine please.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,874,211 times
Other then San Francisco.

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Vancouver BC
4. San Diago
5. New Orleans.

Really any warm weather place would be fine. If warm weather wan't an issue Denver, Minneapolis, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Boston would be on my list.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Yes
- New York
- Miami
- Chicago
- Boston
- San Francisco
- Tucson
- San Diego
- Denver
- Austin
- Dallas
- Houston
- Los Angeles
- Atlanta
- Salt Lake City
- Portland
- Phoenix

No (never to be honest)
- Philadelphia
- Orlando
- Fort Worth
- Oakland
- Cleveland
- Pittsburgh
- Buffalo
- Charlotte
- Oklahoma City
- Tulsa
- Albuquerque
- Saint Louis
- Kansas City

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-22-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or