U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,819,814 times

Advertisements

NYC (Manhattan only)
SF (anywhere with a good distance away from the Tenderloin)
Santa Monica, CA (the best of LA; would love to live there permanently)
Portland (in a gorgeous Victorian house just outside of downtown... Away from all the homeless)
San Diego

With the single exception of NYC, I would never live in a city with cold winters thereby excluding Boston from my list. West Coast has mild winters which is awesome because, let's face it, being cold just bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 AM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Kona, HI
Waikoloa, HI
Hawi, HI
Kihei, HI
Wailea, HI

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

4,938 posts, read 7,596,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Hey now! I don't know if you visited Youngstown on your trip, but some of us Rust Belt residents take pride in where we live, even if our city has been neglected a little over the last few decades.
What Youngstown looks like to me (in pictures - LOTS!)

While even Youngstowners can say "at least we're not Detroit," I will freely admit that Ytown probably suffers from the most blight/abandonment in Ohio.
That's what Youngstown looked like to me as well when I visited during a cross country road trip this summer (my traveling buddy was from there or obviously we wouldn't have stumbled into it). The blight and dearth of population for the built environment are apparent but are much overshadowed by the beautiful architecture, forested environs and sense of potential for a rebirth.

I am an architectural designer (I seem to recall you are in the profession as well) and along with St. Louis, Youngstown for its size sure packs an appreciative architectural punch for me. I really enjoyed and was completely surprised by your adopted city.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Default Tallying Los Angeles thus far - the results surprised me.

So far in this thread I counted 19 "yes" votes for Los Angeles (did not count two for Beverly Hills and one for Santa Monica) and five "no" votes. I had expected Los Angeles to fare much worse here, as urbanists seem to dislike it for its "sprawl" and for its (until recently) poor public transit. I am pleased to note that a number of other posters share my good opinion of L.A. Had to laugh to see L.A. in the company of Detroit in one poster's "no" list, which I found bizarre in the extreme. My own list follows:

YES

San Diego
Boston
NYC (for the culture)

NO

Portland (OR)
Phoenix
Baton Rouge
Miami
Detroit

Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
It's not likely I'd move to a metro smaller than 2 million so, with that in mind:

Yes
SF
Chicago
Seattle
LA
Boston

No
Houston
Detroit
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Orlando

Expat bonus - international yes:

Melbourne
Sydney
Lisbon
Barcelona
Milan

Old 12-21-2013, 12:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,273,264 times
Would move to (besides mine)

NYC
Boston
DC
Phili
Chicago

Would not move to

Phoenix
Houston
LA
Dallas
Charlotte

Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,846,014 times
While I like the Urban Planning forums, and this is one of my favorite forums, I didnít expect Urban Planning forum to obsess too much about American cities, and not enough focus on international cities all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
That's what Youngstown looked like to me as well when I visited during a cross country road trip this summer (my traveling buddy was from there or obviously we wouldn't have stumbled into it). The blight and dearth of population for the built environment are apparent but are much overshadowed by the beautiful architecture, forested environs and sense of potential for a rebirth.

I am an architectural designer (I seem to recall you are in the profession as well) and along with St. Louis, Youngstown for its size sure packs an appreciative architectural punch for me. I really enjoyed and was completely surprised by your adopted city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
NYC (Manhattan only)
SF (anywhere with a good distance away from the Tenderloin)
Santa Monica, CA (the best of LA; would love to live there permanently)
Portland (in a gorgeous Victorian house just outside of downtown... Away from all the homeless)
San Diego

With the single exception of NYC, I would never live in a city with cold winters thereby excluding Boston from my list. West Coast has mild winters which is awesome because, let's face it, being cold just bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Would move to (besides mine)

NYC
Boston
DC
Phili
Chicago

Would not move to

Phoenix
Houston
LA
Dallas
Charlotte

What are all of your top 15 favorite international cities for living in outside and away from USA?

These are my favorite international cities: Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, Vienna, Nice, Innsbruck, Phuket, Buenos Aires, Singapore, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Prague, Barcelona, Lyon.

A Top 50 Favorite International Cities after a top 15: Grenoble, Montreal, Brussels, Marseille, Cannes, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Strasbourg, Lille, Madrid, Valencia, Ibiza, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Zurich, Geneva, Seoul, Tokyo, Taichung, Saigon, Hoi An, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Dubai, Bangalore, Melbourne, Sydney, Vancouver, Bucharest, Constanta, Batumi, Genoa, Santiago, Moscow, Berlin, Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Sao Paolo, Kunming, Kyoto, Osaka, Portland, Honolulu, Milan

My favorite American cities are San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Seattle. I lived in Seattle and New York City a long time and I plan to live in San Francisco bay area of California in the next 2 years. I include San Francisco, and New York City in my top 10 to top 15 for any cities in the world. I have ambivalence about where to rank Chicago, and Seattle in my personal preferences outside of American cities in a top 15 to top 50.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM

862 posts, read 552,952 times
Would move to:
Jacksonville, FL
Greenville, SC
Columbia, SC
Raleigh, NC
Tulsa, OK

Would not:
Washington, DC
Newark, NJ
Detroit, MI
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL

Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 PM

319 posts, read 382,949 times
Would move to:

1. Seattle, WA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Portland, OR
4. San Diego, CA
5. Denver, CO

Would NOT move to:

1. Houston, TX
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Miami, FL
4. Phoenix, AZ
5. Las Vegas, NV

Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,512,585 times
Yes:
Seattle, WA
Chicago, IL
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Boston, MA

or Internationally:

Berlin
London
Barcelona
Frankfurt
Copenhagen

No:
Raleigh, NC
Charlotte, NC
Miami, FL
Atlanta, GA
Dallas, TX

or Internationally:

Sydney
Tokyo
Rio de Janeiro
Mexico City
Beijing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or