U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:21 PM

78,852 posts, read 70,665,916 times

Advertisements

Berkeley
Mill Valley
Santa Cruz
West Vancouver
Port Townsend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 PM

1,585 posts, read 584,993 times
Madison, WI
Davis, CA
Evansville, IN
Spokane, WA
Boise, ID

Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 PM

41 posts, read 33,075 times
Yes:
- Atlanta
- Seattle
- Northern Virginia
- Chicago
- Raleigh
No:
- New York-New Jersey
- SF Bay Area
- Los Angeles
- Portland OR
- Houston

Denver might've made the cut for 'yes' 2-3 years ago, but CoL is rapidly outpacing wage growth and the infrastructure is just horrifically bad. Dallas is pretty okay, but the lack of greenery & tree cover or really any kind of scenery at all whatsoever is a deal breaker for me.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Seattle isn't cheap, either. Why don't you like Portland? My niece lived there for five years and moved back to the Seattle area where she'd grown up. I asked why, and her answer was vague. I've never been there, so I don't have a clue.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 PM

41 posts, read 33,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Seattle isn't cheap, either. Why don't you like Portland? My niece lived there for five years and moved back to the Seattle area where she'd grown up. I asked why, and her answer was vague. I've never been there, so I don't have a clue.
Well, Portland is just one of these places that I instantly disliked the moment I stepped foot in it. There's just something intangible about it that really turned me off for whatever reason, but I can give a few concrete reasons:

Scenery isn't anywhere near as good as Seattle's. But that's a pretty minor point. There's an extremely huge contingent of (often times intentionally) un/underemployed "alternative" type people who I really just don't like. They used to be largely confined to Portland proper (still the case in Seattle), but last time I was there it seems as though they've metastasized and swelled out into the suburbs. Seattle has a lot of alt people too, but they aren't nearly as large proportionally. A lot of places even in the Portland suburbs look kind of run down. Almost everywhere in Seattle feels somewhat affluent even if it isn't really all that affluent.

I've heard from friends in Portland and read on certain forums that property crime is literally spiraling out of control at a dizzying rate in many areas due to homelessness and the drug problem. Literally everyone is moving to Portland but middle-upper middle class jobs aren't being generated at the same rate people are moving there and wages generally aren't rising very fast. This is largely because the labor market is an opligopsony - a few buyers of labor (Intel, Nike, and a few other semiconductor & EDA companies) basically set wages, and it's obviously better for them to keep them low. The explosive population growth doesn't help wages either of course.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:05 PM

1,120 posts, read 992,760 times
YES:
Portland
Denver
Seattle
Raleigh-Durham
Charlotte

NO (basically rust belt and or overly flashy cities):
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
NYC
LA
Milwaukee
Detroit
Buffalo
Vegas

Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM

1,508 posts, read 526,959 times
Want to move to:

Houston
Orlando
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami

Would never move to:

Chicago
San Francisco
Minneapolis
Boise
Reno

Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM

22,165 posts, read 23,691,169 times
YES:

Philadelphia
Chicago
Los Angeles
Miami
DC

I generally like to have a decently workable system of mass transit, maybe some biking, and walkable neighborhoods. There are probably another half dozen US cities I'd be into if the conditions were right.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:35 PM

1,817 posts, read 317,130 times
Yes -

Portland, ME
Denver, CO
Chapel Hill, NC
Seattle, WA
Madison, WI
Possibly Austin, TX but might be way too hot

No -
Las Vegas, NV
Miami, FL
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Louisiana

Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM

6,859 posts, read 3,727,681 times
Yes
Clemson SC
Colorado Springs CO
Small towns in SC
Woodland Park CO
I'm thinking …

No
No place in CA. Can't stand it
New York
Washington
Atlanta
Detroit
any big city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or