Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM

389 posts, read 470,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Me, too. If I didn't already live in one, I'd move back to Dayton.
Unfortunately I don't, when I travel to certain places and see it's better off, it's as if where I'm from thinks backwards. I can't take that, especially knowing the grass is greener elsewhere. At the same time if everybody up and left there would be no chance for turnarounds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 18,090 times
Yes:

Raleigh, NC
Knoxville, TN
Savannah, GA
Albany , NY
Lexington, KY

No:

San Francisco, CA
Mobile, AL
Detroit, MI
Portland, OR
Wichita, KS

Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard Bluebird View Post
Yes:

Raleigh, NC
Knoxville, TN
Savannah, GA
Albany , NY
Lexington, KY

No:

San Francisco, CA
Mobile, AL
Detroit, MI
Portland, OR
Wichita, KS
You like Albany, but dislike Portland and SF?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 18,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yeah I guess that doesn't make sense lol I would have put Saratoga Springs, NY but I put Albany because it's the closest overall pretty well known city ,I wasn't sure if this thread was only for well known big cities or not. Sorry about that, I should probably edit my post since Albany and what I actually mean are way different. I haven't been there since I was about 7 but was born in Schenectady and would always go up and visit some of my family in Saratoga and remember really loving it there.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Albany's nice, but it's no Troy!

Then again, Albany does have the Egg:

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,163 times
Yes:

Los Angeles
San Francisco
Bangkok
Tokyo
Singapore

Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
I wouldn't hate on Portland and SF like that (although SF is pretty disgustingly hyper-gentrified and I'm not sure I would want to live there), but Albany is super awesome and way underrated. The other two are overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Albany's nice, but it's no Troy!
Then again, Albany does have the Egg:
I always thought of it as a UFO. I used to hate Albany's skyline, but its uniqueness and Mars Colony aesthetic has really grown on me! Still, I hate to think of all the historic fabric that must have been plowed down for Empire State Plaza.

No need for Troy and Albany to be in competition...the Capital District is great.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Yeah I do like Albany a little bit, actually. I've really started to get a kick out of Brutalist architecture lately, and Albany is hella brutal!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
The rest of the urban core has amazing historic architecture, easily on par with anything San Francisco has to offer (and leagues ahead of Portland). (Obviously not on such a large scale as SF, though.)

Albany has lots of rowhouses with boxy bay windows over the top of entry doors that I never see anywhere else. Maybe Baltimore has some?? In my mind, it is a signature Albany thing! Love it!

albany, ny - Google Maps

They even show up on corner doors:
http://goo.gl/maps/PN6Gl

How cool is that?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM

358 posts, read 451,000 times
YES
Los Angeles
New York
Philadelphia
Portland
San Francisco

NO
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning