Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

The United States has some truly massive malls.

Destiny USA - Syracuse New York

A 6 story shopping mall.

King of Prussia Mall - Philadelphia Pennsylvania

Mall of America - Minneapolis Minnesota

The Galleria - Houston Texas

Circle Centre Mall - Indianapolis Indiana

Malls are on the decline, several of these malls are already suffering from major store foreclosures and increasing vacancies. Many malls run the risk of one day ending up like this:

City Center Mall - Columbus Ohio

I have noticed in my hometown our largest shopping mall in the area, "University Park Mall" of Mishawaka Indiana, has recently reinvented itself as more of a hybrid mall. 3/4 of the mall is inside, and a new 1/4 has been added, a strip mall of upper class boutiques, fine dining, and conventional chain stores/restaurants. It's now part indoor shopping mall and part strip mall.

Why are malls on the decline? What can be done to prevent their decline and demise? Do you see any of these malls closing down in the near future? What about the mall in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
another Thread already on this subject : http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-remedies.html

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
See DeadMalls.com

It is amazing and a sad commentary on our times.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
See DeadMalls.com

It's also a lot of BS, at least for the malls I'm familiar with.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
See DeadMalls.com

Interesting read. I read about several malls in there that I know of and have been torn down or become abandoned, and some with a foot in the grave already.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The United States has some truly massive malls.

Destiny USA - Syracuse New York

A 6 story shopping mall.

King of Prussia Mall - Philadelphia Pennsylvania

Mall of America - Minneapolis Minnesota

The Galleria - Houston Texas

Circle Centre Mall - Indianapolis Indiana

Malls are on the decline, several of these malls are already suffering from major store foreclosures and increasing vacancies. Many malls run the risk of one day ending up like this:

City Center Mall - Columbus Ohio

I have noticed in my hometown our largest shopping mall in the area, "University Park Mall" of Mishawaka Indiana, has recently reinvented itself as more of a hybrid mall. 3/4 of the mall is inside, and a new 1/4 has been added, a strip mall of upper class boutiques, fine dining, and conventional chain stores/restaurants. It's now part indoor shopping mall and part strip mall.

Why are malls on the decline? What can be done to prevent their decline and demise? Do you see any of these malls closing down in the near future? What about the mall in your area?
Why do retail stores even still exist? Let them go. The is no future for them.

Cinderella City (1968 - 1998), once the largest shopping mall west of the Mississippi.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM

406 posts, read 500,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Why do retail stores even still exist?
For the imaginary, mystical and mythical people who still like to buy things in person.

On a more serious note, I do feel that brick-and-mortar retail will not so much decline, but adapt also. For all the old malls and big box stores that close, new places open up all the time. You have a much larger amount of people buying things online nowadays, but if taking a visit to any one of the 5 shopping malls in a 20 minute drive of my house shows me anything, if the crush of people at these malls during the holidays says anything...I don't see brick and mortar shopping disappearing any time soon. Restructuring, reorganizing, maybe even downsizing or creating new ways to enhance the shopping experience (like these fancy "lifestyle centers" aka pockets of Disney-fied "urbanism" with lots of parking, works for me if it gets people going and makes money) is what they'll do.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
King Of Prussia Mall Announces Expansion Plans « CBS Philly

Not sure they are all dead but retail is changing

Destination malls seem to be doing OK

KOP is also getting an extension of a heavy rail line directly at the mall

Is this good or bad, guess it depends on preference but this mall does over 1.3 billion in sales annually

Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
One of our largest malls in Louisiana is still very popular. It just recently opened a movie theater (which is in a horrible area because you have to drive to it) an outdoor strip, and more retail along the periphial of the property. A mix-use development is being built next to it with condos, apartments, retail, office space, and single family homes. I don't think this mall will die very soon.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
For the imaginary, mystical and mythical people who still like to buy things in person.

On a more serious note, I do feel that brick-and-mortar retail will not so much decline, but adapt also. For all the old malls and big box stores that close, new places open up all the time. You have a much larger amount of people buying things online nowadays, but if taking a visit to any one of the 5 shopping malls in a 20 minute drive of my house shows me anything, if the crush of people at these malls during the holidays says anything...I don't see brick and mortar shopping disappearing any time soon. Restructuring, reorganizing, maybe even downsizing or creating new ways to enhance the shopping experience (like these fancy "lifestyle centers" aka pockets of Disney-fied "urbanism" with lots of parking, works for me if it gets people going and makes money) is what they'll do.
Must be great. I'm within a 20 minute drive of "half" a shopping mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning