U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 16,222,819 times

Advertisements

Uh..

Okay. There's four of them where I live. Three are in residential neighborhoods, the third about a mile outside of town. Two of them are a bit highfalutin, the other two are not. And I use that term generously as they are really not that prestigious. They're nothing like say the Olympic Club, which is in the middle of San Francisco. While membership is certainly exclusive (and expensive), I've been to events there a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,424,509 times
Golf courses are obviously great for those who play golf, and even if access is restrictive they create open space and attractive parkland which will have a positive impact on the view from neighboring homes and businesses, even the homes are part of a decayed slum. Even the poorest man will be better off with added beauty in his environment. I've also found that golf courses are a great place to measure snowfall . In response to Komeht, it's not as if people's homes are being demolished to convert urban areas into golf courses - golf courses are typically built in less-occupied areas (though most become more occupied over time ).

Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,622,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What the hell are you talking about country clubs lol. So now all the cities are clamoring to attract country clubs? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Country clubs are in very exclusive private communities located far away from the general population where the members do their business. They do nothing to affect real estate value or have anything to do with boosting local economies.
Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM

32,552 posts, read 60,203,877 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about country clubs lol. So now all the cities are clamoring to attract country clubs? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Country clubs are in very exclusive private communities located far away from the general population where the members do their business. They do nothing to affect real estate value or have anything to do with boosting local economies.
LOL indeed. Every sentence is incorrect.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM

239 posts, read 480,580 times
--Are golf courses the greatest waste of space ever invented?--

NO !................................and I'm a non-golfer

Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,286,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just in regards to two things cisco brought up that actually are relevant:

1) Water. In general, recreation has been ignored as a concern in managing water supply. That's only recently begun to change. Typically the legitimate economic uses were industry, farming, household consumption, power generation, and flood control. The fishes (environment) are still largely dismissed although since the '80s have played an increasingly important role. Now we're at the point where recreation is being considered. Do golf courses use a lot of water? Yup. So what? So does growing alfalfa for cows. Which is a more productive use of the water? The problem with market-based approaches is that water isn't really market-based. It's a command economy full of special interests. Water districts are often senior rights holders and they set vastly divergent prices for different uses (farming, industry, ag) based on political whim.

2) Pesticide/fertilizer. Farming is also really toxic. We should stop growing food. It uses lots of water and chemicals. I'm entirely positive that agriculture is responsible for way more water qualities where I live and not golf courses.

These are not valid comparisons. Food and water are essential for life. Golf courses are not.

And you don't even need pesticides to grow food. People have been growing food for thousands of years without pesticides and still do today with organic farming and organic food products that are popular in many places.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,945,275 times
Quote:
These are not valid comparisons. Food and water are essential for life. Golf courses are not.

And you don't even need pesticides to grow food. People have been growing food for thousands of years without pesticides and still do today with organic farming and organic food products that are popular in many places.
Baseball diamonds and football fields also require pesticides (and are similarly not "essential" to life). It's a matter of balance, and given the fact that eco-friendly golf courses are seeing an exponential rise in growth, golf and environmental integrity are no longer mutually exclusive concepts.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM

51 posts, read 87,350 times
They should turn the golf courses over to the homeless so they can camp there and maybe put a few balls to relax

Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM

195 posts, read 236,793 times
I think all golf courses should be turned into airports. Then people can have airplanes and use them like flying cars. They can commute from a c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶ airport in the suburbs to one in the city in less than 10 min! It will also solve traffic problems.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,239,219 times
I'm not a fan of golf courses, I'd prefer the natural land, but how can they be described as "eyesores"?. Does the OP even know what the word means? FHI it doesn't mean "personally offensive to my sense of decorum or urban planning philiosophy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning