U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,306,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
But, once that land is built out, it's probably going to stay that way for 100 years or more. There are probably better options than paving over (even artificial) green space.
Golf courses are a terrible way to preserve green space. We already have plenty of parks in Austin, many of which are partially in the floodplain and could not be built upon anyway.

Once it is built out I would expect it to perpetually be that way, not just for a hundred years or more. This is still a "better and higher" use by any economic gauge as it does not cater to a few enthusiasts and their special interest group. Instead it can serve the needs of the community on a much larger scale to thousands of residents and workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The one a few blocks from us was definitely not created by cutting down forests, and they only have to water a few times in July/August, because the rest of the year it rains. Much better use of the land than a big box store and parking lot, storage units, or even condos.
Um... yes, that forest was cut down. The vast majority of the mature trees were eliminated, all smaller trees were eliminated, all underbrush was eliminated, and varieties of non-native/domesticated grass were planted, with herbicides deployed to kill all unwanted natural grasses, flowers, and other small plants.

At least 98% of the habitat of that forest is gone. The number of species of mammals/birds/insects for which it is now suitable habitat is but a fraction. The biomass that golf course supports is a small fraction of what the forest supported.

I'm not saying there should not be any golf courses - but don't see a bunch of green and say "Wow! This is totally like a natural forest!".

That's a photo of a golf course. It is most definitely not a photo of a forest.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,531,785 times
"Wasted" space, in this case a golf course, is only as good as its other options. What else could go there? In the suburbs, golf courses serve their purpose I suppose, though I don't play. I'm not sure what the better options would be.

In the city though, if there is a better use for it, someone will find a way. Money talks. And I believe there are definitely better uses for it in urban areas, such as (don't kill me, ha) an NFL football stadium in LA (or near vicinity city)! Just looking at aerials, I didn't realize how large of a land space some golf courses are.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,873,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The great thing about golf courses is that they eat up land which would otherwise be filled with houses and apartments, which in turn would be filled by people (especially people with children) demanding more municipal services.
That's true for any green space.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
"Wasted" space, in this case a golf course, is only as good as its other options. What else could go there? In the suburbs, golf courses serve their purpose I suppose, though I don't play. I'm not sure what the better options would be.

In the city though, if there is a better use for it, someone will find a way. Money talks. And I believe there are definitely better uses for it in urban areas, such as (don't kill me, ha) an NFL football stadium in LA (or near vicinity city)! Just looking at aerials, I didn't realize how large of a land space some golf courses are.
Courses that can't sustain themselves are repurposed all the time. Courses that can either turn a profit (public/semi-private) or cover their costs to the satisfaction of their members (private) don't need to go anywhere, barring some wide-scale eminent domain project that has nothing to do with an irrational hatred of golf courses.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That's true for any green space.
Yes, but the topic is golf courses.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, but the topic is golf courses.
The way some people are assailing them, the clarification seems warranted.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,554,265 times
I always liked what George Carlin had to say about golf courses (skip to 2:30 into the video):

(nsfw!)

Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM

2,922 posts, read 3,115,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Um... yes, that forest was cut down. The vast majority of the mature trees were eliminated, all smaller trees were eliminated, all underbrush was eliminated, and varieties of non-native/domesticated grass were planted, with herbicides deployed to kill all unwanted natural grasses, flowers, and other small plants.

At least 98% of the habitat of that forest is gone. The number of species of mammals/birds/insects for which it is now suitable habitat is but a fraction. The biomass that golf course supports is a small fraction of what the forest supported.

I'm not saying there should not be any golf courses - but don't see a bunch of green and say "Wow! This is totally like a natural forest!".

That's a photo of a golf course. It is most definitely not a photo of a forest.
Still a better environmental outcome as opposed to paving over and turning into high rise apartment buildings and or office buildings.

FWIW, wildlife levels actually remain pretty high at least here in New England. And in no locales do golf courses eliminate 98% of the habitat (hyperbole enough).

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 08-28-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM

566 posts, read 572,499 times
Using perfectly good land to make a golf course should be criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning