U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,012,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We just got another 1/2" rain this afternoon.
Could you be great and pass some to California? We've used all our water on ice bucket challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM

87,102 posts, read 102,884,582 times
^^LOL! A Facebook friend who lives in the mountains above Boulder posted a picture of the *snow* they got yesterday afternoon! Snow in August, a rarity even at her altitude.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 PM

87,102 posts, read 102,884,582 times
Quote:
When the August wrap-up appears in the paper, I'll post it. Their numbers will be for Boulder.
Here it is:
August 2014 in Boulder was not as rainy as it seemed - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,169,049 times
Quote:
Reminds me of the time I visited Grand Teton / Yellowstone parks. Impressive thunderstorms in the afternoon with lots of lightning but not much rain. One day in the mountains, two quick storms in the afternoon. Ours tend to be the reverse: heavy rain, not much lightning. Here, 4.65" over 10 days this August. 14.4" for June-August.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,977,010 times
That would be the Midwest. The Midwest is the greatest waste of space.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM

3,587 posts, read 5,326,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I wasn't saying you don't know your town. But, what you had said had argumentative flaws: until the above information, your evidence was anecdotal by definition; in a discussion about golf courses as a general concept, you made specific points about a specific place, Austin, TX; you implied that Austin's parks were sufficient in quantity, but had not made a statement as to their being sufficient in overall quality.

To you specific point about strip malls, even as nice as they may be, I don't care; they're plaster and asphalt and less pleasant for me--clearly, you differ, as is your right--to look at than a golf course.

Let's, you and I, be clear about one thing. I live in the Bay Area. So I understand your point about housing affordability. That said, however scarce you think housing is in Austin, in relative terms it has nothing on San Jose, which has the highest gross rents in the US. Even so, even as it eats me alive to live here, I'd rather see already built land used more efficiently than every swath of green--hyperbole, admittedly--paved over. Paving over a golf course is a drop in the bucket when the problem is the systemic underutilization of our developed lands.
Like I said before very few people here are complaining about the quality, quantity, or existential aspects of Austin parks. If you want to look up polling of Austinites and their top concerns knock yourself out, until shown otherwise I will go with the consensus as I perceive it.

If the strip malls are not to the community standards then the fault lies with the elected officials and the zoning board. I know why you brought up strip malls and that's because they are an easy target and subject to much derision. Of course we have many other types of retail here and are trending more towards mixed use projects that are anything but eyesores. Generally speaking consumers don't want to shop at unattractive retail outlets if given a choice.

Of course we can also xeriscape our strip malls and install rain water capture systems in drought-stricken Central Texas. Would you like a xeriscaped golf course? Or even a golf course that doesn't have a sprinkler system?

Hey I admit that golf courses are not the ugliest land use there is aside from their artificialness and, quite often, clashing with surrounding environments, e.g. Arizona golf courses in the middle of the desert.

Yes, Bay Area is more expensive but incomes are also much higher! And I don't think it is a drop in the bucket when you consider cities that have multiple municipal golf courses on land that hypothetically could be zoned very high.

I'm not against golf courses but just like race tracks and airports, for admittedly other reasons, they do not belong anywhere near the central core.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,916,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I'm not against golf courses but just like race tracks and airports, for admittedly other reasons, they do not belong anywhere near the central core.
They very rarely are. They're usually in outlying city neighborhoods that were once suburbs and suburbs that were once farmland. If an old relic of a course happens to already be near an urban center, there's no reason to get rid of it unless market forces dictate as such.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM

3,587 posts, read 5,326,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
They very rarely are. They're usually in outlying city neighborhoods that were once suburbs and suburbs that were once farmland. If an old relic of a course happens to already be near an urban center, there's no reason to get rid of it unless market forces dictate as such.

The golf course in question is 1.7 miles from Austin's CDB so it is very much in the core. Bringing up the annexation layer it only says it was part of the city prior to 1946.

It's a $500M-$1B piece of land generating $1-2M gross revenues per year. I don't see how that makes sense from a strictly business POV. And then we have opportunity costs as annual property taxes lost, just for the land before any development, are on the order of $12-$25M.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,137,016 times
This thread reminds of the film Falling Down.

Falling Down (passing through golf course) - YouTube

Old 09-24-2014, 03:30 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,012,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
And I don't think it is a drop in the bucket when you consider cities that have multiple municipal golf courses on land that hypothetically could be zoned very high.
Could be zoned high, but so could the surrounding land. Often, neither case is true, even as demand may warrant it. And, as I've mentioned, the systemic problem is usually persistent under-zoning in the face of high demand. Solve the underlying zoning problem and the pressure on open land drops.

But what's dense to you? 7k ppsm? 10k? 15k?

Let's say an 18-hole course is 150 acres. Let's say it's zoned to 10k ppsm. That's an additional 2k residents, roughly. 15k ppsm yields 3,500. That's not nothing, but it's indeed a drop in the bucket in the bay area. And, worse, many muni courses are 9 holes played through twice, halving the yields from conversion to residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning