U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,865,258 times

Advertisements

I don't play golf but I quite like watching golf on TV.

I've always thought golf courses are good for real estate, afterall, they provide good views for the surrounding homes. Certainly, quite a lot of new developments are combined golf courses/real estates - the golf course provides the view of the houses, the residents provide players for the courses:

N. Joy DeVue asks, ‘Why are golf courses combined with housing?’ - Cybergolf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM

195 posts, read 235,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
What about courses owned by municipalities?
Believe it or not municipal courses can also have annual membership costs in the thousands. If it is municipally owned, it serves more as a park. Allowing ordinary people to play golf for a lower price. It may or may not be the most economical thing to build. If its in the middle of a growing area probably not, but if its near an airport or on the outskirts of town, it may be economical.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM

195 posts, read 235,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

this is an excellent idea. lol. I might pay to play there. I'd like to see many airplanes I could hit with the ball? that might actually make the game somewhat interesting, because seeing it on TV or in person is about as fun as watching paint dry.
It's quite common to have golf courses near airports. Actually the old Bangkok airport had one in between its two runways.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bangk...gl=us&t=h&z=16

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
not really. golf courses are usually surrounded by tall chain link fences which gives them the appearance of a prison yard. the fences are there to prevent non-members from getting in, and golf balls from hurling into nearby homes and windshields. they would be easy to convert into prisons.
"Usually"? You mean the one you're familiar with has a tall chain link fence? Many golf courses are public.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
I think parking lots are much worse.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM

361 posts, read 633,398 times
Eyesores? You clearly do not get out much.

No, they are not a waste of space whoever owns them. And I am not even a golfer.

Urban golf course are often a habitat for animals and birds that have nearly disappeared because of cities sucking up all the property they can.

No, come to think of it, I guess I would rather have huge amounts of vacant and open land just sitting there instead of generating an income and employing people, providing recreation for thousands and providing a haven for wild creatures.

It is better to have rats and urban vermin than deer, birds etc. All those nasty trees and greenery, providing oxygen and so on. What a waste.

Yeah, let's shut them all down.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 PM

35,271 posts, read 32,230,970 times
Better open space than a bunch of section 8 ghetto crap.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,481,018 times
I think golf courses are beautiful pieces of art and great habitats for wildlife. They're often surrounded with thick wooded areas for plenty of animals to make home. The ponds have ducks, geese, and fish.

Golf has health benefits (mental and physical) that are enjoyed by millions of people. They're certainly not a waste of space.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM

407 posts, read 408,221 times
Quote:
bowling alleys don't consume anywhere near the real estate of golf courses.
Oh, so it's because you don't like golf AND golf courses are big. So by that logic, I'm not really a big baseball fan so they should tear down those big, wasteful stadiums that baseball fans and replace it with something more useful because of my opinion.

Quote:
whether I like bowling or not is beside the point.
But it most certainly is the point, your whole criticism is clearly rooted in your negative opinion of golf, which you've made obvious in several posts in this thread. If you didn't like bowling instead, I'd expect you to come to the same conclusion. Unless you just inherently dislike large areas being devoted to one particular use, in which case you're gonna have a tough time living in this world, buddy... I'd hate to watch you have to use one of those god forsaken big parking lots somewhere...

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,393,258 times
Quote:
probably. golf courses eat up far more land than any other sport (if you can call it a sport) and can't be used for anything but playing golf. they are a totally useless eyesore.

Golf courses suck golf balls and souls

Municipal golf courses: Sucking up the public's green | StarTribune.com
Here in Branson there seems to be a plethora of them and they can use up to a MILLION gallons of water per day (in July). Considering that people are dying on a daily basis all over the world for lack of drinkable water, this statistic seems pretty shocking. I don't begrudge people from playing and enjoying an activity, but it would seem that there must be a better way to provide these facilities without impacting the water supply to this degree.

Here is a link, by the way, showing the figures... Johnny Walker asks, ‘How much water does a golf course use for irrigation?’ - Cybergolf

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning