U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 AM

407 posts, read 407,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Right. Because the ony option to golf courses is public housing they don't even build anymore
I like the part where he didn't say nor imply that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,110,077 times
It is kind of incredible how many golf courses Los Angeles has. With a quick count I found 18 just in the city limits. The vast majority of them are up in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains, so they really don't take up much land that could be realistically developed. Others were in the Sepulveda Basin, a huge park in the San Fernando Valley and Griffith Park. The two courses that take up the most valuable land are probably the Los Angeles Country Club directly north of Century City and the Wilshire Country Club in Hancock Park.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

726 posts, read 1,010,517 times
It's not the golf courses it's what they have to do to the greens to keep them that green. Very toxic to the water tables at the levels they must use to maintain them. In Scottland, where golf originated, the grass isn't treated with artifical chemicals as it is in USA.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Public parks because they are multi-functional with an unlimited variety of uses. They can be used and enjoyed by families, kids, adults, people of all ages and everyone in the neighborhood, not just a few old geezers with a private membership card.
I've been at a driving range exactly one time. I've been to golf courses many times. They're used quite a bit here for charity events, corporate functions, weddings, birth day parties, school reunions, and so on.

We have two public (municipal) golf courses, both used pretty regularly, three private golf courses, and then two smaller ones. As far as developable land... one of the public courses could be, although it's part of a larger park that could also be developed, the other couldn't. The private ones -- one is in a green belt, designed to maximize golf course houses. You could probably triple the number of houses but then you'd reduce the value quite a bit as the appeal is having your backyard backup to the golf course for nice views. One is located in a greenbelt. The last one recently went semi-public due to declining membership. You can either be a member or pay green fees. It opened in the '60s, and only in the last 10 years has been encroached by development. It's still very low value at the outskirts.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,771,022 times
Our city has a 36 hole course. It meanders around a gated sub division. One of the reasons many of those people bought homes in that area was to live near the golf course. If you are sitting in your back yard would you rather have another home behind your home or an open space that happens to be green. They paid a premium to live there. Now the course is a public course and it is always full. That waste of space pays for itself and is a money generating operation for the city. Not sure how it would ever be called a waste of space though.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,265,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Haven't you heard, "The man who plays golf will live ten years the longer?"

Of course that expression is from the days before golf carts and caddies, when everyone actually walked and carried their own bags.

good point. you're not getting any exercise by driving around in a golf cart all day. what good is a 'sport' if you're not getting any cardiovascular benefits from it? its just a waste of time. golf is the dumbest most pointless thing ever invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Oh, so it's because you don't like golf AND golf courses are big. So by that logic, I'm not really a big baseball fan so they should tear down those big, wasteful stadiums that baseball fans and replace it with something more useful because of my opinion.

unlike golf courses baseball diamonds and football fields have multiple uses and don't require nearly as much space. they can be utilized by many more people at a time in a much smaller area. you can fit 10 to 20 baseball diamonds inside of one golf course. baseball, football, soccer, etc are all physically demanding sports so there are obvious health benefits unlike golf which is just a pointless waste of time and precious limited resources.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,182,975 times
Gotta love the internet. What would have just otherwise been an objective observation: "Golf is an extremely space and resource intensive recreational activity" turned into a 5 page, uhh, well, "discussion" is probably the wrong word.

Anyway, there are other space and resource intensive recreational activities too, but you'd be hard pressed to beat golf, particularly because the need/desire for clear skies and warm weather place a large number of courses in a setting from far anything otherwise green.

Do I golf? Doesn't interest me, and I'd probably avoid it because of the above reasons anyway. Do I want my municipality subsidizing? No, simply because it falls to about #986 on the list of things that municipalities should spend money on. Do I think that there's anything wrong with it as a private pursuit? If we properly price the use resources to account for their externalities, then we could all do whatever we wanted.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I like the part where he didn't say nor imply that.
He precisely implied that was the option.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,103,218 times
Golf courses in Texas are often built on land in a flood way or low area. So hardly a waste to convert flood way land to golf which can be more eye appealing to floodways to me and can be an amenity for homes to back up on rather than raw flood plains.

This topic's lead off statement has to be one of the dumbest Ive seen... yes the internet sure is great...thanks silicon valley or Al Gore or ...

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,035,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
probably. golf courses eat up far more land than any other sport (if you can call it a sport) and can't be used for anything but playing golf. they are a totally useless eyesore.

Golf courses suck golf balls and souls

Municipal golf courses: Sucking up the public's green | StarTribune.com
What would you use the space for instead?

By the way - I don't play golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning