U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,022,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Public parks because they are multi-functional with an unlimited variety of uses. They can be used and enjoyed by families, kids, adults, people of all ages and everyone in the neighborhood, not just a few old geezers with a private membership card.
Tiger Woods is an "old geezer"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
not really. golf courses are usually surrounded by tall chain link fences which gives them the appearance of a prison yard. the fences are there to prevent non-members from getting in, and golf balls from hurling into nearby homes and windshields. they would be easy to convert into prisons.
This describes many public schools.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,224,773 times
I have to put this word in here, ok. For all the folks touting how great golf courses are because they make ready-made wildlife refuges: THIS IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF A GOLF COURSE. Golf courses make terrible habitat for local flora and fauna. You know what was a good wildlife habitat? The woods and terrain that existed before the gold course. Golf courses are about as nature friendly as a suburban front yard. They remove 90% of native species to replace with a few species of decorative trees and, of course, lots of grass. The animals that happen to wander through are actually more a nuisance to the owners of the course, since they can interrupt play and damage or make a mess on the course (think pooping on the green). Golf courses are actually detrimental to the environment in regards to the fact that they take up a lot of space, and replace the diverse native ecosystem with basically a big lawn. They share this characteristic with ski resorts actually.

Now, I actually play golf, and I understand human activities aren't always going to be 100% environmentally friendly, at least up front although you can always do things to balance said activities out. Anyway, I play golf, and I enjoy walking a nice course. It's relaxing and the better designed courses are actually quite pleasant to walk through, a bit like walking through a park. But lets not fool ourselves: they're bad for the environment and they take up a hell of a lot of space. You certainly can have too many golf courses and they definitely can have a negative environmental impact, especially in regions with sensitive ecosystems like the desert Southwest where water is a big concern. That's another thing: golf courses need an inordinate amount of water to keep that giant lawn green all the time. So really, a few well maintained courses can be a boon to a local community, if its being used, but otherwise, they really are a waste.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
this is an excellent idea. lol. I might pay to play there. I'd like to see many airplanes I could hit with the ball? that might actually make the game somewhat interesting, because seeing it on TV or in person is about as fun as watching paint dry.
This is the course for you - directly under the flight path to Sea-Tac airport and only a mile away from the runways.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses...course=1172756

I've never played theer(I don't golf} but I have spent much time in the areas under the flight path that are further south - and those airplanes look like they are about to land on YOU.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM

407 posts, read 407,348 times
Quote:
unlike golf courses baseball diamonds and football fields have multiple uses and don't require nearly as much space. they can be utilized by many more people at a time in a much smaller area. you can fit 10 to 20 baseball diamonds inside of one golf course. baseball, football, soccer, etc are all physically demanding sports so there are obvious health benefits unlike golf which is just a pointless waste of time and precious limited resources.
That still says absolutely nothing rational about why golf courses shouldn't exist. You either have some kind of weird view that we can't have big areas devoted to any one particular thing, just because YOU don't like them or because you don't care for the sport of golf because you feel it's not physically demanding enough or that it's "pointless": but....who the heck are you? Guess what, a lot of people love golf...so deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
He precisely implied that was the option.
No, he didn't. "Better open space than a bunch of section 8 ghetto crap." does not say or imply that "section 8 ghetto crap" was the only option, nor did he say or imply that they still build it. He simply said he'd prefer to see golf courses than to see section 8 housing.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM

15,726 posts, read 26,757,800 times
Lets get to brass tacks. Do you think that they build golf courses for the fun of it? They build them because they are profitable. They make money. Besides looking great. Golf courses are desirable places to live near and on if you can afford it.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,093,039 times
Today they build golf courses to sell the land that surrounds it at a profit that surrounds it. That is where the real money is.

Sure, some are profitable. Some are owned and run by municipality's
Just like a ski area and that does not seam to bother the op.

The course came first then everyone moved in around them.
So if you live by one it was by your choice.

Just like a ski area, a large track of land set a side for a specified use for paying customers and that does not seam to bother the op.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,264,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Today they build golf courses to sell the land that surrounds it at a profit that surrounds it. That is where the real money is.

Sure, some are profitable. Some are owned and run by municipality's
Just like a ski area and that does not seam to bother the op.

The course came first then everyone moved in around them.
So if you live by one it was by your choice.

Just like a ski area, a large track of land set a side for a specified use for paying customers and that does not seam to bother the op.

no one wants to live on or near a ski slope so that's not a valid comparison. there's not much else you can do with the side of a snow-covered mountain BUT to ski down on it. plus skiing provides you with exercise and health benefits which is more than I can say for golf.

the pro-golf excuses are getting a bit desperate. because there's hardly any valid reason for them to exist it seems their supporters have to come up with these ridiculous excuses trying to justify their existence. though I do think they could be limited to the end of airport runways and desert areas as someone suggested. but imo they should be kept off of prime land and out of urban areas that could be put to much better uses.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,713,490 times
Quote:
no one wants to live on or near a ski slope so that's not a valid comparison. there's not anything else you can do with the side of a snow-covered mountain BUT to put ski down on it. and skiing provides exercise and health benefits which is more than I can say for golf.

the pro-golf excuses are getting a bit desperate. because there's hardly any valid reason for them to exist it seems their supporters have to come up with these ridiculous excuses trying to justify their existence. though I do think they could be limited to the end of airport runways and desert areas as someone else suggested. but imo they should be kept off of prime land and out of urban areas that could be put to much better uses.
Golf course belong under flight paths or adjacent to water treatment plants and power plants and other industrial type sites where they can provide a nice green buffer for community beyond.

Other than that, put them out in the suburbs where land is cheap and easy for the people who like cheap and easy things.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM

195 posts, read 235,315 times
Quote:
the pro-golf excuses are getting a bit desperate. because there's hardly any valid reason for them to exist it seems their supporters have to come up with these ridiculous excuses trying to justify their existence. though I do think they could be limited to the end of airport runways and desert areas as someone suggested. but imo they should be kept off of prime land and out of urban areas that could be put to much better uses.
The reason that golf courses exist is because some people are willing to spend a lot of money to play golf. Whats so hard to understand about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning