Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Public parks because they are multi-functional with an unlimited variety of uses. They can be used and enjoyed by families, kids, adults, people of all ages and everyone in the neighborhood, not just a few old geezers with a private membership card.
sounds like someone is jealous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Can't play golf in a public park. Not every recreational area has to be a "swiss army knife" of recreation.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM

406 posts, read 500,939 times
Quote:
Public parks because they are multi-functional with an unlimited variety of uses. They can be used and enjoyed by families, kids, adults, people of all ages and everyone in the neighborhood, not just a few old geezers with a private membership card.
See when you speak in such generalizing and stereotyping ways, it sounds like baseless drivel. My brother golfs with his friends all the time, and they're 21-22 years old, old geysers? I don't think so. Also, there are plenty of courses open to the public that families, kids, adults and people of all ages can enjoy a game of golf on, just like a park's baseball fields, basketball courts and soccer fields. I do suppose if a golf course is defunct, I'd certainly support a redevelopment of the land into something more suitable for the area, whether it be a park, retail, office space, homes or any combination/mix of those. All depends on where it is and what the demand is.

But based on your tone, I think you just have something against golf, and as such you feel nobody should enjoy it because it's a waste of space. By that logic, if you didn't like bowling, you'd say all bowling alleys are a waste of space and should be converted to something else, also nonsense.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I guess it's nice to look at?
not really. golf courses are usually surrounded by tall chain link fences which gives them the appearance of a prison yard. the fences are there to prevent non-members from getting in, and golf balls from hurling into nearby homes and windshields. they would be easy to convert into prisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Useful in some spots. For instance underneath flight path adjacent to airports. Very little can go there anyway.
this is an excellent idea. lol. I might pay to play there. I'd like to see many airplanes I could hit with the ball? that might actually make the game somewhat interesting, because seeing it on TV or in person is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
not really. golf courses are usually surrounded by tall chain link fences which gives them the appearance of a prison yard. the fences are there to prevent non-members from getting in, and golf balls from hurling into nearby homes and windshields. they would be easy to convert into prisons.

this is an excellent idea. lol. I might pay to play there. I'd like to see many airplanes I could hit with the ball? that might actually make the game somewhat interesting, because seeing it on TV or in person is about as fun as watching paint dry.
Lots of golf courses are located under flight paths... It's rather typical

Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
But based on your tone, I think you just have something against golf, and as such you feel nobody should enjoy it because it's a waste of space. By that logic, if you didn't like bowling, you'd say all bowling alleys are a waste of space and should be converted to something else, also nonsense.
bowling alleys don't consume anywhere near the real estate of golf courses. whether I like bowling or not is beside the point.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Lots of golf courses are located under flight paths... It's rather typical
oh didn't know that. I used to see lots of golf courses when I used to live in the suburbs but none of them were near airports, though I'm sure they exist. but who could play under all that airplane noise? do the golfers wear earplugs? I thought peace and quiet is supposed to be one of the benefits of golfing.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Only if you don't play golf.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Not to golfers! They can be a great use for unbuildablex land. Even part of a condo complex. Though the sport is in decline lately and some don't like all the chemicals spread on them.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Haven't you heard, "The man who plays golf will live ten years the longer?"

Of course that expression is from the days before golf carts and caddies, when everyone actually walked and carried their own bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning