U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM

145 posts, read 214,684 times

Advertisements

Hey, I figured this was the most appropriate board? I searched and found some topics that were specific to certain cities, but I'd love to see what is beyond my city. So.. are people here into Urban Exploration (Urbex)?

Ive been exploring since I was a kid, but until recently, I didn't know there was a name for it!

Ive just moved down to Sydney from Brisbane (Australia) and have been spending far too much time wandering the streets of the inner city. So so much beautiful architecture and character.

I look for houses, warehouses/factories that are abandoned and just photograph, sit & ponder... it's sometimes fraught with peril. Nosy neighbours, not-so-hospitable squatters and of course, that issue with trespass I also photo the street art that adds colour and life.

But I see things that the public don't, don't care to look for and I see so much random stuff that its kind of addictive.

If there are others here with that same interest, please share!

cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,663,909 times
I've done a little myself, but it was for other reasons. I've explored the Paramount Theater in Youngstown, because it was a potential project. I toured a number of abandoned houses, because I was looking for a restoration project. Because I was there for other reasons, any photos I have aren't very artistic.

You may like this guy's work:
Historic Glencoe-Auburn Being Demolished (Update 3) Abandoned

Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,109,839 times
These are pretty awesome. This place was intact until recently, now under renovation for reuse.

Baltimore's Lebow Clothing Factory: Past, Present and Future Ziger/Snead Architects

Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 AM

22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Hidden City Philadelphia | Dossier/City Branch

Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM

22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Tour the Divine Lorraine and Metropolitan Opera House with NAC – Next City

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,039,423 times
Never really gone exploring myself. At least not inside of of vacant buildings. But it is quite popular here in the States.

Detroiturbex.com - Locations

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM

14,072 posts, read 16,102,108 times
Not personally. I do think it's fascinating, however. I'm more limited to urban tourist. I've done things like the underground tour in Seattle and Sacramento, but it would seem to pretentious to call that exploring.

Fascinating Underground Worlds by Steve Duncan - My Modern Metropolis

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM

145 posts, read 214,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not personally. I do think it's fascinating, however. I'm more limited to urban tourist. I've done things like the underground tour in Seattle and Sacramento, but it would seem to pretentious to call that exploring.

Fascinating Underground Worlds by Steve Duncan - My Modern Metropolis
The underground is a whole other world! I was speaking to a telecomms guy here in Sydney that works the tunnels under the CBD. He told me that all manhole covers are wired to a central command. If they can't ascertain who is trying to enter, the police are dispatched. Because of terrorism.. sad.

**Thanks a lot for the links - Ive got hours of searching ahead of me!

cheers

Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,796,006 times
Nice photos, ever been to the abandoned tram warehouse or WW2 bunkers?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:06 AM

550 posts, read 1,092,371 times
I've always liked urban exploring. I'd really love to go on a dual sport or supermoto.

This video is the first thing I though of:

Supermoto Hooligans 13 Urban Exploration - YouTube

I also like lauriejennifer's channel:

Climb the Tower! - AIRBASE SUNDAY 3 [KC SUPERMOTO SUNDAY 3!] - YouTube

Air Base Sunday - Part 1 [KC SUPERMOTO SUNDAY 3!] - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or