U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these Sans feel the most urban
San Jose 7 8.75%
San Diego 60 75.00%
San Antonio 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM

104 posts, read 136,874 times

Advertisements

Last summer, I was in SJ visiting family. It had been a long time since I was last back. Downtown was actually nice. But I was amazed how we had to *always* take a freeway or highway to go anywhere in SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,808,378 times
San Antonio is one of the most historic cities in texas and seems fairly dense and walkable at the core same with san jose and san diego. All of these cities are old but have been taken up by modern housing and design

Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,895,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
San Jose doesn't make the list:

California's Best And Worst Big City Downtowns | California Planning & Development Report

Is Fresno as bad as the article makes it out? I'm skeptical that San Diego could be as good as San Francisco, but it must say something about it doing well it can tie. Off-topic but this is a good read you probably have read:

California's Best And Worst Mid-Sized City Downtowns | California Planning & Development Report

wish there was a similar article for around here.
I suppose downtown Palo Alto, Mountain View, and Burlingame all don't quite have 75K, but these penninsula cities have excellent downtowns. As does Walnut Creek. I'd put Fremont up there for worst.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,885,958 times
San Diego. They have a form of mass transit and it's coastal, so it will be more dense by environment. The two others have room to sprawl.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,101,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
San Diego. They have a form of mass transit and it's coastal, so it will be more dense by environment. The two others have room to sprawl.
Believe it or not San Jose also has a pretty extensive LRT system.

Of course practically no one uses it.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM

2,880 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Believe it or not San Jose also has a pretty extensive LRT system.

Of course practically no one uses it.
Some people use it. I used it. The problem is most of the work is in massive--I mean MASSIVE--industrial parks made up of cul-de-sacs and wide boulevards that are not friendly to that "last (literal) mile (or more)". So, yeah, in theory it's extensive but in practice it's a major pain. I fortunately landed work just half a mile from a light rail station, and was the only one who used PT out of a couple hundred employees (they thought me underprivileged LOL). But then the company moved. Predictably to a PT inaccessible industrial park.

I'm due for another visit. The light rail up there is one example of the on-the-ground LRT dynamics. If they build it, does the presumed clustering effect for walkable districts really happen, and has it after all these years of operation?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Some people use it. I used it. The problem is most of the work is in massive--I mean MASSIVE--industrial parks made up of cul-de-sacs and wide boulevards that are not friendly to that "last (literal) mile (or more)". So, yeah, in theory it's extensive but in practice it's a major pain. I fortunately landed work just half a mile from a light rail station, and was the only one who used PT out of a couple hundred employees (they thought me underprivileged LOL). But then the company moved. Predictably to a PT inaccessible industrial park.

I'm due for another visit. The light rail up there is one example of the on-the-ground LRT dynamics. If they build it, does the presumed clustering effect for walkable districts really happen, and has it after all these years of operation?

VTA's LRT is worthy of a whole thread unto itself. The LRT system would be more valuable if the area along North 1st between 880 and downtown further densified and formed cohesive neighborhoods. First mile solved. Last mile could be solved by short-route public or private shuttles (if private bus service works for Google, Facebook, Apple, etc...).

Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,506,602 times
My vote goes to San Diego

Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM

2,880 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
VTA's LRT is worthy of a whole thread unto itself. The LRT system would be more valuable if the area along North 1st between 880 and downtown further densified and formed cohesive neighborhoods. First mile solved. Last mile could be solved by short-route public or private shuttles (if private bus service works for Google, Facebook, Apple, etc...).
Small companies that make up the bulk of those industrial parks would have to band together, a difficult proposition. They won't make the investment individually. It's still the layout of those industrial parks that's a problem. You'll notice they don't even have sidewalks. And where a straight shot from point A to B might only be 1000 yards, because of the cul-de-sacs the actual walk can be a mile from any bus stop. Practically speaking that's not gonna attract PT converts.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Small companies that make up the bulk of those industrial parks would have to band together, a difficult proposition. They won't make the investment individually. It's still the layout of those industrial parks that's a problem. You'll notice they don't even have sidewalks. And where a straight shot from point A to B might only be 1000 yards, because of the cul-de-sacs the actual walk can be a mile from any bus stop. Practically speaking that's not gonna attract PT converts.
Cisco, which holds a truly massive amount of property in the area, provides Bauer shuttle bus service to the office buildings. No walking to the street or a nearby building.

If the infrastructure (companies like Bauer and their vehicles and operators) already exists, employers buying bus "passes" for shuttles between the various Tasman LRT stations doesn't require a lot of banding together of employers in these business parks. UPS doesn't require a high density along a route, and I don't have a reason why a shuttle service would require it. That's my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or