U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM

34,016 posts, read 42,381,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They aren't here. Developers build these to fool idiots into thinking they are worth their weight in sand.
Maybe. maybe not, it's going to depend on the funding source and how close wetlands are. For funding the feds are requiring some form of intermodal (bike paths, sidewalks) in some grant funding and have been for 15 or so years. For wetlands/stormwater the EPA through the Corps of Engineers is tightening the screws and requiring green areas to control runoff to waterways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM

32,480 posts, read 60,089,309 times
Isn't it hard to judge what's going on here since we don't know where the path ends and where it begins?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,210,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't it hard to judge what's going on here since we don't know where the path ends and where it begins?
Agreed.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 PM

6,607 posts, read 8,161,678 times
I thought zoning and planning groups were full of urban planners. So this design is probably out of some urban planning playbook. I am sure they have a special name for it.... you know code that only they understand..job security! I agree unless we see a broader picture we cant judge the usefulness of this path way

Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM

34,016 posts, read 42,381,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I thought zoning and planning groups were full of urban planners. So this design is probably out of some urban planning playbook. I am sure they have a special name for it.... you know code that only they understand..job security! I agree unless we see a broader picture we cant judge the usefulness of this path way
Not always. In many jurisdictions the Planning and Zoning Board is made up of citizens, usually by appointment from the governing body of the jurisdiction, and make decisions on planning and zoning issues as they pertain to the local P&Z laws.

Staff may or may not be professional planners. In smaller jurisdictions the staff may only consist of the Town Engineer and possibly the Code Enforcement officer.

In reality P&Z codes are often fairly easy to understand if you know the vocabulary and pay attention along with having decent reading comprehension.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM

642 posts, read 965,352 times
What about this?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,138,514 times
^ that's lovely. I've rode it before, quite nice.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM

407 posts, read 409,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
What about this?

*desert/suburban bike path images*
I'd actually love to ride somewhere like that. Personally I would only really ever want to go bike riding on a leisurely, scenic trail like that rather than biking in a crowded urban hellhole like this:

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,138,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I'd actually love to ride somewhere like that. Personally I would only really ever want to go bike riding on a leisurely, scenic trail like that rather than biking in a crowded urban hellhole like this:
My god that looks like such a hellhole! My eyes are burning!

KRPL, you admonish others for their bombast, but you can get carried away with it, too.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM

642 posts, read 965,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I was under the impression you would prefer somewhere like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or