Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM

406 posts, read 501,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
My god that looks like such a hellhole! My eyes are burning!

KRPL, you admonish others for their bombast, but you can get carried away with it, too.
Indeed I can though I speak as a matter of my own personal opinion and not as an absolute fact that my way > your way. I believe it's all about perspective..I can certainly see how some people would absolutely love being surrounded by people in a crowded urban streetscape, just as I would prefer the completely barren and empty bike path shown above. But I also know that there is a lot of in between those two polar opposites, such as the much calmer Dutch urban streets with comfortable bikeways, or the newer suburban developments with bike paths and walkways well connecting subdivisions to shopping, retail and jobs.

The world isn't black and white as we all know...just like how there are a whole range of lifestyles as well. It doesn't have to be super dense apartments clustered together connected by light rail OR completely car-dependent suburban housing surrounded by trees and swimming pools where every commercial/civic building has 1000 parking spaces around it. There is plenty of differing levels with combinations of each along a wide spectrum, which in turn attract people to live there.

To some people, urban living is such as what you choose: a rowhome in an inner city neighborhood close to downtown, for some, it's a condo on the 26th floor of some new high rise luxo tower, to some, it's in a 3rd floor corner building apartment above the local bakery. Just as to some people, suburban living is on a large lot 1960s ranch home with two car garage in a subdivision a mile from the shopping mall, just as to some, it's living in a narrow lot, tiny front yard, 2 feet away from their neighbor's house 1920 3 story home in a former streetcar suburb, or to some, it's a nice big HOA-enforced 3000 sq. foot. "McMansion" built 24 miles out from the city in some fancy subdivision built in 2005. And this doesn't even bring into account the types of rural living, such as small towns, or homes in the middle of nowhere in the desert, or up on the forested mountains somewhere. I actually love how there is such a diversity of neighborhoods and lifestyles in this country, I just can't stand when people are stubborn enough to think that their way is the ONLY way. The majority of people will vote with their dollars in terms of where they want to live.

While I know I can be joking sometimes such as posting images like that, I find that there are people on this forum who truly cannot comprehend that there IS such a wide spectrum of lifestyles, and that everybody should just accept their way because it's "progressive" and "sustainable" and its really what we all want....it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I was under the impression you would prefer somewhere like this:
The bike path is very appealing for me when I'm in the mood for biking and adventure, but for day to day activities and getting things done? Yes, I wouldn't mind living somewhere with a commercial strip like that at all, I'd actually prefer it. I love driving, and I find it more convenient and comfortable not to mention I absolutely love the privacy and personal space that my car offers. Multiple lanes of little traffic would allow me to get around slow drivers easily, and I'd bet all the businesses offer easy, convenient, free and plentiful parking. Could I see why some folks would hate it? Absolutley. I can see why some folks would prefer something closer to this, and that's fine. I'll stick to my suburbia.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I was under the impression you would prefer somewhere like this:
Oooh, a Waffle House!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oooh, a Waffle House!
And a Hampton Inn! I love those hotels! Plus they always have big, free parking lots for guest convenience!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oooh, a Waffle House!
I like Waffle House - there used to be one right by my house when I was a kid and then it got torn down and I thought it was gone forever, then about 15 or so years later I discovered they were still around.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
The bike path is very appealing for me when I'm in the mood for biking and adventure, but for day to day activities and getting things done? Yes, I wouldn't mind living somewhere with a commercial strip like that at all, I'd actually prefer it. I love driving, and I find it more convenient and comfortable not to mention I absolutely love the privacy and personal space that my car offers. Multiple lanes of little traffic would allow me to get around slow drivers easily, and I'd bet all the businesses offer easy, convenient, free and plentiful parking. Could I see why some folks would hate it? Absolutley. I can see why some folks would prefer something closer to this, and that's fine. I'll stick to my suburbia.
I like Albuquerque because it has a solid network of these 'leisurely' trails. I used to have a 50-minute bike ride commute to work all along that trail, and it saved me from having to make extra time to stop off at the gym. It's also easy to get around by car because it's built mainly in a suburban-style format with ample parking, but it's (slowly) becoming easier to get around by bus, too. Actually, a huge part of the city has more 'rural' characteristics than urban or suburban as you can see from those photos. I just though it would be worthwhile to show you that I don't live in or want to force upon everybody to live in a super dense, urban environment.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Indeed I can though I speak as a matter of my own personal opinion and not as an absolute fact that my way > your way. I believe it's all about perspective..I can certainly see how some people would absolutely love being surrounded by people in a crowded urban streetscape, just as I would prefer the completely barren and empty bike path shown above. But I also know that there is a lot of in between those two polar opposites, such as the much calmer Dutch urban streets with comfortable bikeways, or the newer suburban developments with bike paths and walkways well connecting subdivisions to shopping, retail and jobs.

The world isn't black and white as we all know...just like how there are a whole range of lifestyles as well. It doesn't have to be super dense apartments clustered together connected by light rail OR completely car-dependent suburban housing surrounded by trees and swimming pools where every commercial/civic building has 1000 parking spaces around it. There is plenty of differing levels with combinations of each along a wide spectrum, which in turn attract people to live there.

To some people, urban living is such as what you choose: a rowhome in an inner city neighborhood close to downtown, for some, it's a condo on the 26th floor of some new high rise luxo tower, to some, it's in a 3rd floor corner building apartment above the local bakery. Just as to some people, suburban living is on a large lot 1960s ranch home with two car garage in a subdivision a mile from the shopping mall, just as to some, it's living in a narrow lot, tiny front yard, 2 feet away from their neighbor's house 1920 3 story home in a former streetcar suburb, or to some, it's a nice big HOA-enforced 3000 sq. foot. "McMansion" built 24 miles out from the city in some fancy subdivision built in 2005. And this doesn't even bring into account the types of rural living, such as small towns, or homes in the middle of nowhere in the desert, or up on the forested mountains somewhere. I actually love how there is such a diversity of neighborhoods and lifestyles in this country, I just can't stand when people are stubborn enough to think that their way is the ONLY way. The majority of people will vote with their dollars in terms of where they want to live.

While I know I can be joking sometimes such as posting images like that, I find that there are people on this forum who truly cannot comprehend that there IS such a wide spectrum of lifestyles, and that everybody should just accept their way because it's "progressive" and "sustainable" and its really what we all want....it's not.

Everyone should just accept what they see as destructive just because other people like it. Got it.

On this forum, first to reference being forced into cities loses. It is possible to have opinions on urban design contrary to your own without advocating for forced relocation and other nonsense.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I like Albuquerque because it has a solid network of these 'leisurely' trails. I used to have a 50-minute bike ride commute to work all along that trail, and it saved me from having to make extra time to stop off at the gym. It's also easy to get around by car because it's built mainly in a suburban-style format with ample parking, but it's (slowly) becoming easier to get around by bus, too. Actually, a huge part of the city has more 'rural' characteristics than urban or suburban as you can see from those photos. I just though it would be worthwhile to show you that I don't live in or want to force upon everybody to live in a super dense, urban environment.
I don't nor didn't think you did, it's all good. I believe everyone can find their "happy place", and there's no way to define it. My image was more in good fun rather than being serious, after all this is the internet..

Quote:
Everyone should just accept what they see as destructive just because other people like it. Got it.
Everyone should just accept that other people would like to live lifestyles different from their own, sometimes more people and sometimes less people. It's part of life, no matter what.

Quote:
On this forum, first to reference being forced into cities loses. It is possible to have opinions on urban design contrary to your own without advocating for forced relocation and other nonsense.
Of course it is possible to have opinions, however I also find some folks opinions on here are pretty darn close to that such nonsense, or at least that's how they portray things ought to be.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
And a Hampton Inn! I love those hotels! Plus they always have big, free parking lots for guest convenience!
Not the only Hampton Inn I ever stayed in, which was in Albany, NY. You had to pay to park your car at the hotel (no other choice, either) and it was mandatory valet parking. I was on business, so I got it back, but I thought it was kind of cheapo on their part.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not the only Hampton Inn I ever stayed in, which was in Albany, NY. You had to pay to park your car at the hotel (no other choice, either) and it was mandatory valet parking. I was on business, so I got it back, but I thought it was kind of cheapo on their part.
Ahh, both of my Hampton stays over last summer were free parking, but they were also off of the interstate with huge parking lots. I think it depends on where the hotel itself is, such as if it's in a more urban area, you're likely to pay more. I always try to stay Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn or Hilton whenever possible, even on my trip last summer I paid an extra ~$80 a night for the Hampton Inns, but it was worth it 100% for the quality. Plus, I also was able to claim business expense..

For example, I'm going to DC for two nights next weekend just for the hell of it, and two of the hotels which I looked at were near Alexandria, VA.

This one is in a walkable area on King Street literally seconds from the Metro station, I stayed here 3 years ago and it was really nice. Rooms are pricier compared to this more suburban location just down the road, which between the rates and lack of parking fee comes out to nearly $50 cheaper per night.

Booked a Hilton in Rockville, MD next to the Twinbrook Metro station for even less than that, however..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning