U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,107,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by octa View Post
"o-m-g isn't it like the wire though!?"
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM

7,598 posts, read 9,457,529 times
I don't know how anyone would put Baltimore in the "overlooked urban" category; my God, it's about the most urban place going, hardly a tree or a blade of grass in some parts, and all that row housing to boot..

Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,011,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Woah! Bike lanes, decent transit, and a very pedestrian friendly environment That seems like an a place I should visit.

Eh, I wouldn't say Hampton Roads. The only part that feels urban is downtown Norfolk. The rest of the area is pretty much suburbs and strip malls. The same can be applied to Northern Virginia as well. The area outside of DC like in Arlington and Alexandria are very dense, walkable, and urban. Once you get past that zone, it turns into suburbs very quickly. The same can be said for Maryland around the District outside of Bethesda and Silver Springs.

If I had to choose any place in Va that is very urban and underestimated, it would have to be Richmond. Charlottesville gets an honorable mention. It's more like the small towns pictured earlier though.
Newport News and Portsmouth are urban . Northern Virginia Beach and Northern Chesapeake, really depends on what you're used to. South Norfolk is urban though.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,842,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't know how anyone would put Baltimore in the "overlooked urban" category; my God, it's about the most urban place going, hardly a tree or a blade of grass in some parts, and all that row housing to boot..
I think what people overlook about Baltimore isn't it's urban nature, but its sheer size. It's really quite large, but the parts of it people from outside go to and know about are all in a small area around the harbor or (for college students) just up Charles Street.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,636,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Newport News and Portsmouth are urban . Northern Virginia Beach and Northern Chesapeake, really depends on what you're used to. South Norfolk is urban though.
Where in Newport News? East End is the oldest section I believe and it doesn't feel urban. It's just run down. You have some high rise office buildings by the shipyard, but those are places where people work. I've been there a couple times and there's nothing there besides those buildings and some utility companies. Up Jefferson near the airport, you have your typical residential shopping areas and a mall. Portsmouth? Are you talking about the Old Towne area?

Where in northern Virginia Beach are you referring too?The oceanfront is probably the most urban feeling area in the area and that's because of the tourist and long line of hotels and retail along the boardwalk. And also the Chics Beach area. Town Center definitely not for the time being. And where in Chesapeake? Every time I've been through there, it seemed very suburban just with a lot of traffic. I agree about Norfolk.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,774,924 times
Definitely Baton Rouge although most of the urban areas are ghettos.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Where in Newport News? East End is the oldest section I believe and it doesn't feel urban. It's just run down. You have some high rise office buildings by the shipyard, but those are places where people work. I've been there a couple times and there's nothing there besides those buildings and some utility companies. Up Jefferson near the airport, you have your typical residential shopping areas and a mall. Portsmouth? Are you talking about the Old Towne area?

Where in northern Virginia Beach are you referring too?The oceanfront is probably the most urban feeling area in the area and that's because of the tourist and long line of hotels and retail along the boardwalk. And also the Chics Beach area. Town Center definitely not for the time being. And where in Chesapeake? Every time I've been through there, it seemed very suburban just with a lot of traffic. I agree about Norfolk.
My trip to Newport News several years ago took me by several blocks of densely packed brick rowhomes, surely built for workers at the port in and after WW2. Seemed pretty urban to me, in those parts.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,636,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
My trip to Newport News several years ago took me by several blocks of densely packed brick rowhomes, surely built for workers at the port in and after WW2. Seemed pretty urban to me, in those parts.
Do you remember what it was close to or can you provide a street view? East End Newport News is probably where it would be located since that area is old and has seen better days. Honestly, I can't think of any in that area since it does contain a lot of older single family housing and public housing.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I think what people overlook about Baltimore isn't it's urban nature, but its sheer size. It's really quite large, but the parts of it people from outside go to and know about are all in a small area around the harbor or (for college students) just up Charles Street.
And especially outside the US, people learn so much about all kinds of places in America and their cultures, but we never hear about Baltimore. If you haven't seen The Wire (and I haven't) there's really almost nothing set in Baltimore in entertainment, so unlike New Orleans, Chicago, Boston, DC, New York etc, I don't even know what the local accent sounds like, let alone anything else about the city other then that it was large and industrial in the 19th century and is now stagnant and kind of sketchy. That could be any of a slew of cities. So, Especially internationally, and I don't just mean me, people assume it's a way smaller and less significant US city then it actually is, which is a shame since I've learned through this site that there's some really grand aspects of the place.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
And especially outside the US, people learn so much about all kinds of places in America and their cultures, but we never hear about Baltimore.
It's a very interesting and unique place. If ever on the east coast, be sure to spend a day. PS Lots of folks in Baltimore don't really know what's gong on here; you sort of have to scratch beneath the surface to find its soul.

Quote:
If you haven't seen The Wire (and I haven't) there's really almost nothing set in Baltimore in entertainment,.
Homicide, from the early-mid 90s, actually did a better job at portraying Baltimore (and used more local actors). The first three seasons were excellent, the quality of writing sort of diminished into boilerplate cop-show after that. John Waters' movies paint a rather absurdist portrait of Baltimoreans that isn't entirely inaccurate.

Quote:
I don't even know what the local accent sounds like,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zavPW3Bus Felicia Peterson has a typical black Baltimorean accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_ej-qE48A Some famous white Baltimoreans with accents.

Quote:
let alone anything else about the city other then that it was large and industrial in the 19th century and is now stagnant and kind of sketchy.
The decline of industry and white flight wrecked the city. It's still one of the busiest Atlantic ports. It also remains the shipping hub for a specific type of high-strength heroin, whose distribution model accounts for 90% of our murders, give or take. If you don't participate in any level of that business, your chances of being a victim of crime are very low. As there are very few transportation costs associated with heroin here at its American origin, and there is so much of it, the cost is absurdly low. It's not just Baltimoreans using it either, lots of people come from surrounding suburbs and rural areas to pick up. If you see some good ol boys in pickups with WV, VA or PA plates in sort of out-of-place areas, it's not wrong to assume.

Crack cocaine, which ravaged other cities in the 80s, ravaged here in the early and mid 90s and led to further decline. It's popularity has waned.

Quote:
That could be any of a slew of cities. So, Especially internationally, and I don't just mean me, people assume it's a way smaller and less significant US city then it actually is, which is a shame since I've learned through this site that there's some really grand aspects of the place.
We had our first year of growth in 60 last year. That's remarkable. Things are constantly improving. As stated above, the heroin industry continues to thrive. The tools of that trade are guns purchased by straw buyers in bulk in PA and VA, both less than 45 miles away and with much more lenient gun laws. I don't know how to eliminate the heroin business, but reducing the supply of heroin or guns would go a long way. The former seems impossible and there is not much political will for the latter.

Despite this, we're having a real renaissance in the arts. Musicians locate here to access cheap housing and ease of access to other cities. Friends of mine can play a gig in NY and Philadelphia in the same weekend, then around town in Baltimore with other talented musicians during the week. Some local groups that are big on the "alternative" circuit include Dan Deacon, Beach House, and Wye Oak. And, elements Baltimore Club, a specific type of dance music from here, can be found in lots of popular hip hop and R&B tracks. MIA, Diplo, Rye Rye, and Blaqstarr are responsible for that.

It's a fascinating place. It's not paradise, and can be frustrating, but it's free of pretentiousness and there is so much fun to be had, with genuinely friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or