U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Despite this, we're having a real renaissance in the arts. Musicians locate here to access cheap housing and ease of access to other cities. Friends of mine can play a gig in NY and Philadelphia in the same weekend, then around town in Baltimore with other talented musicians during the week. Some local groups that are big on the "alternative" circuit include Dan Deacon, Beach House, and Wye Oak. And, elements Baltimore Club, a specific type of dance music from here, can be found in lots of popular hip hop and R&B tracks. MIA, Diplo, Rye Rye, and Blaqstarr are responsible for that.
I've been wondering about that. DC is insanely expensive so I've been wondering where the typical person who falls under the starving artist stereotype would choose to live. Outside of it, you have two cities, Richmond and Baltimore, that are much less inexpensive than DC where they could go. I know Richmond has a pretty big and growing art scene and has been gentrifying in a lot of parts due to people coming in and wanting to live in old run down neighborhoods and old factories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,104,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I've been wondering about that. DC is insanely expensive so I've been wondering where the typical person who falls under the starving artist stereotype would choose to live. Outside of it, you have two cities, Richmond and Baltimore, that are much less inexpensive than DC where they could go. I know Richmond has a pretty big and growing art scene and has been gentrifying in a lot of parts due to people coming in and wanting to live in old run down neighborhoods and old factories.
I don't know a lot about Richmond but one advantage of Baltimore is the proximity not only to DC but to the rest of the megalopolis. It's still about 100 miles to DC from Richmond and there ain't a lot of places nearby for a musician to make money.

Richmond had a very big punk and hardcore scene years ago, don't know about now.

There are some communities in PG county MD who have tried to attract priced out DC artists.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I think what people overlook about Baltimore isn't it's urban nature, but its sheer size. It's really quite large, but the parts of it people from outside go to and know about are all in a small area around the harbor or (for college students) just up Charles Street.
Much of it is of no interest to tourists, you're right.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
I wonder if I could afford this investment:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Balti...2,31.76,,0,0.5

Huh. Is this West Philly (by UPenn)?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Balti...94.97,,0,-3.18

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

The evening view is more impressive.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Balti...23,,0,0.5&z=14

This gives the streetview some more texture.

The Wire - Bunny Colvin gets offered some drugs for sale - YouTube

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM

183 posts, read 241,569 times
Downtown Norfolk and the Ghent section of Norfolk are probably IMO one of the best kept secrets in the SE. First off, Norfolk is probably one of the densest cities in the south, there are some amazing older larger apartment buildings in the in the area and the homes have some amazing architecture. Ghent is very walkable and everything there is pretty compact. Now in downtown Norfolk, theres the light rail and theres plenty of street level retail down there now. The urbanity down in that area probably crushes almost anything that we have down here in the south. People say Hampton Roads is probably one of the sprawled out regions and that is true, but people don't realize that the city of Norfolk dates back to the 1700s and many of the immediate neighborhoods were built before the automobile. I wish that I had pictures to post but next time I go back, I'll be sure to take some. Richmond is also another surprisingly urban city as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I bet you could get for cheap (if you could afford the tax lien). It's possibly owned by the city, which bundles and offloads vacants for redevelopment.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,453,253 times
Quote:

Huh. Is this West Philly (by UPenn)?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Balti...94.97,,0,-3.18
That block in Baltimore is the very definition of "bleak"--I couldn't imagine waking up to that every morning. I would be on the first bus/train/plane out of there.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
That block in Baltimore is the very definition of "bleak"--I couldn't imagine waking up to that every morning. I would be on the first bus/train/plane out of there.
The whole block looks to be vacant to me; I don't think anyone is waking up to it.

Meanwhile, 6 blocks over:

etting st baltimore - Google Maps

Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,834,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The whole block looks to be vacant to me; I don't think anyone is waking up to it.
Nobody who isn't drunk and drugged out of their mind, anyway. Those houses are shells at best and some of them have no roofs (I'm not even sure how that happens without a fire, unless they were abandoned for a very long time). Someone had that block listed as their address as of last year though:

34-year-old man dies after West Baltimore shooting - Baltimore Sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or