U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times

Advertisements

I guess investing in those houses and becoming a slumlord is not a good idea, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I guess investing in those houses and becoming a slumlord is not a good idea, then?
No but if you're interested I can point you in the right direction. Slumlording is big business for lots of suburbanites (OK, not just suburbanites ) here.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM

7,596 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The whole block looks to be vacant to me; I don't think anyone is waking up to it.

Meanwhile, 6 blocks over:

etting st baltimore - Google Maps
I guess that this would be an example of the unpredictability of the city. This street is much better, but not every block has the benefit of a "green" island running through it..

A little unsettling to know that only 6 blocks ( or less) away lies total abandonment..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I guess that this would be an example of the unpredictability of the city. This street is much better, but not every block has the benefit of a "green" island running through it....
There are many that do here, it's a pretty popular feature. And some even exist in struggling neighborhoods. Still many were removed to increase traffic capacity. The nice street I linked to has long been home to well-off Baltimoreans, and declined far less than its nearby neighbors (the abandoned photo), which endured the usual W. Baltimore cycle: working class white, working class Jewish, working class black -> 1967-1995 destabilization -> lots of vacancy.

Quote:
A little unsettling to know that only 6 blocks ( or less) away lies total abandonment..
Yeah, but it doesn't bother the folks in Bolton Hill much. There are signs of life elsewhere within a few blocks; I don't think these houses are coming back, though. There is limited appeal. The only places in Baltimore where houses that small are in high demand are in the yuppie areas.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM

All this reminds me of a "Route 66" TV show episode where one of the main characters ( an orphan from NYC) was looking into some leads that suggested that his birth mother might be somewhere in Baltimore--specifically, on Ensor Street. They investigated, with the assistance of a Baltimore police lieutenant ( palyed by Ed Asner, no less), and found that the person of interest was a possibility, but ultimately not the mother. And Ensor Street was in the early stages of urban renewal ( this show was aired, on location, in 1961).

And going by recent internet pictures, Ensor Steet looks no better today...

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
All this reminds me of a "Route 66" TV show episode where one of the main characters ( an orphan from NYC) was looking into some leads that suggested that his birth mother might be somewhere in Baltimore--specifically, on Ensor Street. They investigated, with the assistance of a Baltimore police lieutenant ( palyed by Ed Asner, no less), and found that the person of interest was a possibility, but ultimately not the mother. And Ensor Street was in the early stages of urban renewal ( this show was aired, on location, in 1961).

And going by recent internet pictures, Ensor Steet looks no better today...
Ed Asner was a great actor.

Remember, urban renewal in the 60s meant something different - often, urban destruction for roads and parking for non city tax-paying suburbanites. Or segregated housing projects that created a heavy concentrations of poor, desperate people (as was the case for Ensor St). Remember also Baltimore's decline began in the mid 60s with the loss of industry. So if you're surprised that an area of only poor people still looks poor after 5 decades of decline - you shouldn't be.

However, west of here (on the other side of the cemetary), Station North (AKA Greenmount West), half abandoned for the latter third of the 20th century, improves; condos, apartments, houses, restaurants all coming about. One of the city's best charter schools. And artist lofts whose denizens have gone on to become nationally recognzied (soon to be replaced by pricey condos, within a decade, I'm sure. So it goes).

Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Ed Asner was a great actor.

Remember, urban renewal in the 60s meant something different - often, urban destruction for roads and parking for non city tax-paying suburbanites. Or segregated housing projects that created a heavy concentrations of poor, desperate people (as was the case for Ensor St). Remember also Baltimore's decline began in the mid 60s with the loss of industry. So if you're surprised that an area of only poor people still looks poor after 5 decades of decline - you shouldn't be.

However, west of here (on the other side of the cemetary), Station North (AKA Greenmount West), half abandoned for the latter third of the 20th century, improves; condos, apartments, houses, restaurants all coming about. One of the city's best charter schools. And artist lofts whose denizens have gone on to become nationally recognzied (soon to be replaced by pricey condos, within a decade, I'm sure. So it goes).
Also, during this Route 66 episode, they wound up spending a few minutes in a bar in the infamous Baltimore Block, chasing down a lead, and being disappointed..

Ensor Street basically just looked empty, and not "bombed -out" during this episode; looks like the clearance had already been done..

Funny how a show was entitled "Route 66", and yet was never really anywhere near that famed road; the title represented a theme more than anything else ( a number of shows in Boston/Philly/Balt, Cleveland, New Orleans, Mississipi, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, California, etc)...

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Also, during this Route 66 episode, they wound up spending a few minutes in a bar in the infamous Baltimore Block, chasing down a lead, and being disappointed..

Ensor Street basically just looked empty, and not "bombed -out" during this episode; looks like the clearance had already been done..

Funny how a show was entitled "Route 66", and yet was never really anywhere near that famed road; the title represented a theme more than anything else ( a number of shows in Boston/Philly/Balt, Cleveland, New Orleans, Mississipi, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, California, etc)...
I'll check it out. I love good detective and mystery shows.

The block is still there - funny that its just one block from city hall. I used to work right there (nothing illicit )

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I'll check it out. I love good detective and mystery shows.

The block is still there - funny that its just one block from city hall. I used to work right there (nothing illicit )
BTW, "Route 66" is not a detective show; it's an early 1960s series about two friends traveling around the us in a Corvette, taking odd jobs along the way, getting involved in people's problems, and in search of meaning in life; one is a formerly-wealthy Yale grad , and the other is a working-class orphan with a Beatnick type of lingo ( Martin Milner's Todd Styles , and George Maharis's Buz Murdoch, respectively).

There are some episodes on YouTube , and others--well worth-watching.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,933 times
I'm surprised nobody said St. Louis yet. People who have never been here are usually impressed how urban the city was built to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or