U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Then I'd go for either Portland or Seattle which are young relative to eastern and midwestern cities. But they're not what are thought of "sunbelt cities" and certaintly aren't growing because of weather (though there is a regular on CD that moved to Washington partly because of the weather).
There is no way in h*ll that Portland or Seattle are 'sunbelt'. None, zip, nada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no way in h*ll that Portland or Seattle are 'sunbelt'. None, zip, nada.
of course they aren't. I didn't say they were.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
of course they aren't. I didn't say they were.
The thread title says we're supposed to be talking about the sunbelt.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,126,644 times
Quote:
The thread title says we're supposed to be talking about the sunbelt.
The OP then listed a handful of cities (including ones in the Northeast) and said that any city outside of those counts...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The OP then listed a handful of cities (including ones in the Northeast) and said that any city outside of those counts...
Well, then, maybe the thread title should be changed so we're all talking about the same thing.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,637,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
My definition was only specific to me since there seems to be multiple definitions of what the sunbelt is and I honestly didn't want to confuse people by making one and then excluding cities. Then people would spend the rest of the thread arguing about the definition of it.

But you guys are free to use it as a guide if you want(and it'll give some meaning to why I made the one earlier):37th parallel and below. Alpha - and below. I'm doing that to exclude San Francisco and Los Angeles since they would rank at the top every time if we used them.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,126,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
My definition was only specific to me since there seems to be multiple definitions of what the sunbelt is and I honestly didn't want to confuse people by making one and then excluding cities. Then people would spend the rest of the thread arguing about the definition of it.

But you guys are free to use it as a guide if you want(and it'll give some meaning to why I made the one earlier):37th parallel and below. Alpha - and below. I'm doing that to exclude San Francisco and Los Angeles since they would rank at the top every time if we used them.
Yeah I consider them more West than Sunbelt. What is interesting is that I would group Denver in with the West too, but probably not Las Vegas - I'd put that in the Sun Belt. But it ss further west than Denver. I make no sense.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well, then, maybe the thread title should be changed so we're all talking about the same thing.
I was trying to point out with his lax definition Portland and Seattle count, which is of course, absurd. He just added 37th parellel, which might be a reasonable fix.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM

^^Far be it from me to consider absurdity inappropriate!

FWIW, Denver is at 40degrees latitude, so I guess it doesn't count.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
FWIW, Denver is at 40degrees latitude, so I guess it doesn't count.
Oh well. Didn't realize that. Is that really right? Whether Denver is or isn't the sunbelt seems like a much less sore topic than whether Pittsbugh is or isn't Northeastern. Or whether it's dense…

*Since Denver appears to be the topic of the day, I'll add another comment. From what I can tell, my image of Denver is most similar to the Pacific Northwest cities (Portland and Seattle) culturally and in built form with some differences, obviously. But outside of California and Chicago, I haven't seen any other big cities in the midwest or west so maybe I'm missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning