U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times

Advertisements

I like Cars better than Bicycles because they're faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM

407 posts, read 407,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I like Cars better than Bicycles because they're faster.
Agreed, and plus I don't think many people are gonna put up with this (I certainly wouldn't):

or this:

or this for that matter:

That being said, it all depends on the location and the climate. For example, last Saturday I visited relatively flat Washington DC, and while exploring most of the day on foot and by metro, I also rented a bike for a few hours and found it to be a fun experience. Of course I also mostly stayed on paths on the National Mall and stuck to the museum/memorial area, not to mention it was beautiful out. Later at night, it was kinda chilly and I wanted to cover more ground (photography) so I drove in..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,104,114 times
Bikeshare is pretty cool in DC. I'm amazed at how popular it's become there. Relieves congestion both on streets and on the metro system. Obviously few will ride in extreme weather, but I don't think that's an argument against bicycle infrastructure. DC can be unpleasant but it isn't Cairo.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,185,173 times
Well you can't really compare the bike infrastructure in the US with those other places because it is nearly non-existant here. I mean there are even places in the US that lack sidewalks so it forces/encourages people to drive to their destination over walking or biking.

However in places such as Denmark and The Netherlands you have all kinds of people from businessman wearing suits, women, to mothers with children, the elderly, etc using bicycles to get around even in inclement weather because they feel comfortable doing so and it is convenient.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
There is Bicycle trails all over Minneapolis and Saint Paul, alot of people actually commute by bicycle all times of the year, in hot humid summers and bone chilling winters... idk how they do it!

I go for bike rides when the weather is pleasant, but my legs arent that strong so im not fast enough to go on the street where its safer.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM

407 posts, read 407,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Bikeshare is pretty cool in DC. I'm amazed at how popular it's become there. Relieves congestion both on streets and on the metro system. Obviously few will ride in extreme weather, but I don't think that's an argument against bicycle infrastructure. DC can be unpleasant but it isn't Cairo.
The bikeshare did look pretty cool, but I ended up using this:

http://bikethesites.com/Location/

(Used the National Mall location at the Old Post Office pavilion)

The bikeshare would have probably been a better option if I had arrived in DC without a car, and stayed at a hotel in the city near a bikeshare location. Instead, I stayed in suburbia at a Hilton in Rockville, MD because it was next to the metro (Twinbrook) which I used to go downtown during the day, easy to drive into the city at night on the highway and had a convenient, quiet location near a lot of stuff in the 'burbs.. Plus MUCH cheaper than comparable hotels in downtown.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Ah, I see. Yes hotels in downtown DC can be a bit of a ripoff. You chose well!

I hope you pedaled on the C&O canal trail on your visit. Quite nice!

Bikeshare bikes are heav-EE! But very smooth and durable.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Interesting article about snow in the Netherlands. As I suspected, they don't get snow very often, and they don't do all that well with it.

Do you get snow in Holland? | Holland vs Netherlands

Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
There is Bicycle trails all over Minneapolis and Saint Paul, alot of people actually commute by bicycle all times of the year, in hot humid summers and bone chilling winters... idk how they do it!

I go for bike rides when the weather is pleasant, but my legs arent that strong so im not fast enough to go on the street where its safer.
It's remarkable how quick it takes to get into bicycle shape if riding every day. Less than a month, you'll be strong enough!

(Says the guy who is totally out of bicycle shape)

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting article about snow in the Netherlands. As I suspected, they don't get snow very often, and they don't do all that well with it.

Do you get snow in Holland? | Holland vs Netherlands
That article says they get a "snow deck" 24 days per year on average. That's not much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or