U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lifestyle tends to make you feel most lonely?
Small town 15 20.83%
Suburbs 37 51.39%
Big city 20 27.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times

Advertisements

I didn't say you did. You need to read the posts, unless you've suddenly become Komeht?

Quote:
Then you don't live in any kind of suburb that is being talked about here - which is generally understood to be autocentric suburbs of the latter half of the 20th century. An no, none of them just happened. They were meticulously planned, plotted, permitted, parceled, and promoted.
This is not Roseville. Roseville just happened. It was built as a stagecoach route. They didn't meticulously plan it, plot it, permit it, parcel it, and promote it. They needed a place for horses to stop and get some water and food before continuing on their way from the gold mines to Sacramento. No one on the Board of Real Estate Development of Roseville sat around in a room with a bunch of marketing guys and cooked up the gold rush and used that marketing material to sell them some real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
[quote=Komeht;29040219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Mine sure did just happen, started off as a village in the 1670's. Organically developed into a suburb after they put the rail line through in the 1800's.
/QUOTE]

Then you don't live in any kind of suburb that is being talked about here - which is generally understood to be autocentric suburbs of the latter half of the 20th century. An no, none of them just happened. They were meticulously planned, plotted, permitted, parceled, and promoted.

Oh, so its your half-warm definition of suburb that is what is meant by "suburb". So someone will have to remove my vote from the poll because the suburb I live in isn't being talked about here.

Now I understand, just to clarify, the poll is really about the lonely-type suburbs versus the best non-dying cities - which is the loneliest? Can't wait to see the results on that one.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
None besides long visits, I've lived in multiple suburbs... Do my friends who grew up around me and moved to cities count, they tell me how much better it is and I've visited them first hand to see what they mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is what I thought. You have never lived in the city. Visiting is not the same.
I would tend to believe weetah. If he met lots of people from visiting and the people he knows have been able to meet people, what's wrong the observation? The fact many cities are transient can be a plus rather than a negative. A non-transisent population already has made their social circle or "settled down" in life. Many cities are full of young people who recently moved there after college. Easier to meet other similar young people looking to meet people.

On the Long Island forum, some 20 somethings moving posted for living suggestions, and many posters recommended living in the city instead most young people on Long Island are those that grew up here not so for the city. I have a friend who moved (originally from Washington) to Long Island and then got sick of it and moved to the city and deals with a remote commute. Finds it easier to be social.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Living somewhere is not the same as visiting. Period. Observations are fine.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,707,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is bound to be subjective, and varies a lot depending on the specific location we're talking about, but according to you, do you find life in a typical rural small town, suburbia or the inner city or a major urban area the 'loneliest', in terms of social disconnect, lack of sense of a community, a general feeling isolation?
The Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or