Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

In my own experience, while many sunbelt cities are developing dense central business districts, and midrise areas surrounding them, the actual urban feel of such areas is often lacking. A lot of this has to do with placement of the buildings themselves. Generally speaking the mistakes of the "towers in a park" era have not been repeated, and true high rises are well-positioned on plots, but many downtowns still have too much surface parking, which really detracts from the urban feel. Mid-density areas often still have residential with parking in the front, or significant setbacks, which really detracts from urban feel as well.

In contrast, areas which are very low height can feel quite urban. Many traditional rowhouse neighborhoods in east coast cities have large swathes which are two-story flat-roof structures. Despite the overall low height, the narrow streets, zero setback, and attached housing status creates a quite urban feel. Even single-story structures can create an urban feel if properly placed (e.g., components of the French Quarter in New Orleans).

That said, I wonder if other people, particularly those who grew up in the Sun Belt, have different conceptions of urbanity? I have noticed people from the South often equate urban with big highrises, regardless of street feel.

Thoughts?

Last edited by eschaton; 04-01-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Well does this street feel urban?

Much is only 2 stories or so

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

To me is more of th combination of built space. Without any height it will feel less urban to me but how things face the street is at least as important

Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
@kidphilly

that view is definitely not 2 stories

Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 AM

The other direction

The next block

Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
When I was thinking of low-height urban, I was thinking more of this, which happens to be the neighborhood my maternal grandmother grew up in.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM

I was more posting these as examples of an area that on the street feels very urban and compressed, yet nearly half of the structures are only a few stories along the stretch. The street interface is most important to deliver on feel IMHO

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM

262 posts, read 550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When I was thinking of low-height urban, I was thinking more of this, which happens to be the neighborhood my maternal grandmother grew up in.
I think what you show here is the same in where I come from (South of the Netherlands), and yes I do agree it does create an urban feeling. I am writing now about how to regenerate my hometown for my thesis. My thoughts however on this type of urban feeling, is that it lacks liveliness and dynamity, something I really like in cities. Rowhouse-kind of build streets in my opinion often have this grey/boring feeling/atmosphere. Here, often those places exist because the government decide to implement the zoning of areas with specific functions, such as living/working/retail etc. Personally I think it creates boredom and its a influential factor on both the dynamity/liveliness of an area, but also on social points such as ties and relationships between populations.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I'd prefer to have taller buildings and more open space than shorter sprawl, especially if it's sprawl with no vegetation to interrupt its ugliness.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
What are some examples of low structural density but a lot of height?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What are some examples of low structural density but a lot of height?

To me this type may be the example discussed

Century City, LA, CA - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning