U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this list a bit surprising. HK and NYC were no surprises, but Caracas at no. 5 was interesting. Tokyo was lower than expected, about the same as Toronto!

Shanghai was WAY lower than expected, below the like's of Recife, Brazil! It seems South American cities have a lot of high rise residential buildings. Canadian cities seem to have a lot of condos, more so than Aussie cities. Vancouver around the same as Melbourne!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,714 posts, read 8,703,580 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this list a bit surprising. HK and NYC were no surprises, but Caracas at no. 5 was interesting. Tokyo was lower than expected, about the same as Toronto!

Shanghai was WAY lower than expected, below the like's of Recife, Brazil! It seems South American cities have a lot of high rise residential buildings. Canadian cities seem to have a lot of condos, more so than Aussie cities. Vancouver around the same as Melbourne!
That's just for the city of Vancouver. There's an almost equal number of highrises spread out across the region in the suburban town centres, most linked to the city through the rapid transit network. In truth, it probably rivals Chicago in sheer numbers of buildings, people just don't realize it as they're scattered all over the urban area.

The suburbs of the city typically look like this, full of older single family homes, but with highrises spread more or less linearly all along the skytrain tracks or planned locations of future tracks:


Credit: Locked In
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...91#post6055791

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-05-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
2,646 posts, read 3,855,554 times
Reputation: 1684
I'm not surprised about Tokyo. Due to earthquake risks, they didn't start building highrises as early as other cities, and once they did start building them, it didn't take too long for population growth rates to slow down. I'm more surprised about Seoul since it seems to me like it's more highrise dominated than Toronto while at the same time being considerably bigger.

Shanghai is probably missing a lot of buildings. Check out this map and you'll see large swaths of the city with highrise clusters aren't covered.
Shanghai Skyscraper Map - SkyscraperPage.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Limbo
6,487 posts, read 6,342,227 times
Reputation: 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm not surprised about Tokyo. Due to earthquake risks, they didn't start building highrises as early as other cities, and once they did start building them, it didn't take too long for population growth rates to slow down. I'm more surprised about Seoul since it seems to me like it's more highrise dominated than Toronto while at the same time being considerably bigger.

Shanghai is probably missing a lot of buildings. Check out this map and you'll see large swaths of the city with highrise clusters aren't covered.
Shanghai Skyscraper Map - SkyscraperPage.com
Yeah, when I was in Shanghai back in 2006, it was still hit or miss with the apartment buildings. From the ground you could be on a busy street lined with tall buildings and think the entire city was like that, but from the hotel you could see all the low rises still around.

Here is one of many smoggy pictures to illustrate my point:

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Reputation: 11862
Yeah maybe the count only includes buildings within the municipal city limits. If the metro area is included maybe Tokyo etc will have a lot more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
 
9,896 posts, read 11,712,392 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this list a bit surprising. HK and NYC were no surprises, but Caracas at no. 5 was interesting. Tokyo was lower than expected, about the same as Toronto!

Shanghai was WAY lower than expected, below the like's of Recife, Brazil! It seems South American cities have a lot of high rise residential buildings. Canadian cities seem to have a lot of condos, more so than Aussie cities. Vancouver around the same as Melbourne!

Wow...this list is very outdated. Washington D.C. has over 500 buildings at 12 stories or 115 feet now. What's even more interesting for D.C. is if you include the original D.C. footprint with Arlington Virginia and Alexandria Virginia, D.C. would be around 1,000 highrise buildings.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,715 posts, read 16,718,307 times
Reputation: 13328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah maybe the count only includes buildings within the municipal city limits. If the metro area is included maybe Tokyo etc will have a lot more.
It's given a population count for the entire metropolitan prefecture and not just the 23 wards that were the former city of Tokyo. It's not, however, the population of Greater Tokyo.

And yeah, there's a reason everyone calls Tokyo urban sprawl.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top