U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Again the topic is street trees. Anyone who values seeing their neighbor's house across the street more than seeing trees ... well, there are some serious psychological problems there.
I like seeing houses, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Quote:
"Solar potential" is a moot point when the tree grows barely taller than the house -- and the trees provide valuable shade in the summer -- and gardens are limited only by your imagination.
Trees can grow taller than a house. And as I said, I'll pass on valuable shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,372,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I live in an area with above ground power lines that is largely forested neighborhoods and I still take the trees. The reason being is that sure you may loose power for a bit in a storm and once every ten years you might be out for a week or so, but in summer they are completely necessary. You really cannot comfortably be outside in a place with no shade for any extended period of time at the height North Carolina summer. You will get burned and weak. On the other hand shade makes all the difference. So its worth the trade off.
Another thing to consider is that if all the houses are shaded by trees, less air conditioning will be needed, thus reducing the chance of a power outages in a heat wave. Of course, the fact that there is insufficient power during heat waves speaks to an infrastructure deficiency, but shade trees do help; even if there are no power outages, your A/C bill will be lower .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Again the topic is street trees. Anyone who values seeing their neighbor's house across the street more than seeing trees ... well, there are some serious psychological problems there.
I wouldn't go that far, but I for one like having shade, privacy, and seclusion, and I don't like for anyone on the street to be able to spy on me any time I open my shades. I don't like to look at my neighbors in their windows, either. That said, you don't have to have your house completely obscured - you can have a situation where you have privacy and seclusion inside yet you can still tell what the house looks like at a glance.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM

32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And as I said, I'll pass on valuable shade.
That's easy for you to say, living in Massachusetts. (thanks for the picture )

Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,368,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He doesn't like to mow lawns, either. My city has a leaf-compost program, where you take the leaves to a collection spot. We put ours on our garden. The leaves bio-degrade. They're not even *that* bad in a landfill.

Mine in teal.
Just pointing out some of the disadvantages to trees (since others have done a good job on the advantages). Most of my points can be relevant to street trees (which I assume means in a city "tree lawn") particularly if your yard front yard is not very deep.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 11,019 times
I believe so, it lowers the ppsm.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM

407 posts, read 407,411 times
Quote:
I'll have to definitely disagree with you here, lol.

Having read through that thread, I don't catch the drift of "tree hating" at all, rather people (rightfully so) that are disgruntled with the ridiculously unfair and just plain idiotic way that NYC handles tree planting around the city. I personally know several people and stories where this came into play, situations where folks would have had no problem with the trees if the city had maybe consulted adjacent property owners first, rather than just being arbitrary and accepting zero input from the very people who PAY for the trees existence in the first place. Between our horrible Czar of a mayor issuing his "edict" of one million trees (which is a great thing...if planed right) and the city's incompetent agency management, it's become a nuisance for a lot of people. I love how the city totes how they're trying to promote "smart growth" and "sustainability", however they should also try and promote "reasonability", "common sense" and maybe even "rational thought" for once, but we all know that'll never happen...in any city, really.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
I agree with Ohiogirl81 that anyone who has such a creepy desire to stare at their neighbor's houses from across the street has "issues".

Last edited by nei; 04-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
Quote:
I agree with Ohiogirl81 that anyone who has such a creepy desire to stare at their neighbor's houses from across the street has "issues".
I'm remembering some old advice about not doling out psychiactric diagnoses on the urban planning forum ... who was it who told me that? :-/

Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
I like seeing houses, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Trees can grow taller than a house. And as I said, I'll pass on valuable shade.
It's creepy to want to look in your neighbor's windows.

Re: solar-so you place your solar panels facing south and plant your trees so they don't interfere. Why is that so hard?

The valuable shade may be worthless to you, but living in a place where highs in the upper 90s are common in summer, and 100s are not rare, I'll take the shade and the reduction in air conditioning use.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
It's creepy to want to look in your neighbor's windows.
It is. I don't think anyone said they wanted to. I want to see the houses not inside. I like old houses, I've posted photos of old houses in my neighborhood. I don't how saying "I like seeing houses in my neighborhoods" gets turn into "I want to look into my neighbor's windows".

And it's nice to be told I have issues.

Quote:
Re: solar-so you place your solar panels facing south and plant your trees so they don't interfere. Why is that so hard?
As for solar, I was referring to direct sunlight into the room. Except for 2 months in summer, I'd consider a the cooling effect of trees more a negative than a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning