Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these Sans feel the most urban
San Jose 7 8.33%
San Diego 63 75.00%
San Antonio 14 16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times

Advertisements

What all of these three cities have in common is the sprawl throughout the cities. But which city feels the most urban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I haven't been to San Jose, but it seems like a very family oriented area, taking away any urban feel from it, I'm guessing. I have been to San Diego and San Antonio. SD feels like a large suburban sprawl area, but the urban culture is there. Other areas like Hillcrest and downtown feel somewhat urban, too. San Antonio doesn't feel that urban IMO.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM

92 posts, read 105,514 times
I have been to all three and so I suppose I would rank them in this order 1) SA 2) SD 3) SJ. Neither of these cities have dense urban cores, SA and SD aren't far from each other but last place definately goes to SJ...there isn't a shred of urbanity there whatsoever.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
San Diego is the only one worth discussion.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM

56 posts, read 79,130 times
San Antonio downtown area felt more urban and vibrant but once you go outside of it's core it felt like bunch of small towns mashed together. The area around the Alamo and river walk are historic and very built up. San Diego has a nice downtown and a lot of new mid/high rise condos/apartments in the gas lamp district. It has that new urbanism thing going. Very pedestrian friendly but not quite the vibrancy as S.A. The rest of the city felt suburbanish except for a few pocket area such as La Jolla. San Jose was just one big semi-dense suburb. Santa Clara area had some mix-used development but majority of the area felt semi urban. Overall, I would have to say that San Diego was the most urban of the three and close behind is S.A.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I haven't been to San Jose, but it seems like a very family oriented area, taking away any urban feel from it, I'm guessing. I have been to San Diego and San Antonio. SD feels like a large suburban sprawl area, but the urban culture is there. Other areas like Hillcrest and downtown feel somewhat urban, too. San Antonio doesn't feel that urban IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
I have been to all three and so I suppose I would rank them in this order 1) SA 2) SD 3) SJ. Neither of these cities have dense urban cores, SA and SD aren't far from each other but last place definately goes to SJ...there isn't a shred of urbanity there whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoWow77007 View Post
San Antonio downtown area felt more urban and vibrant but once you go outside of it's core it felt like bunch of small towns mashed together. The area around the Alamo and river walk are historic and very built up. San Diego has a nice downtown and a lot of new mid/high rise condos/apartments in the gas lamp district. It has that new urbanism thing going. Very pedestrian friendly but not quite the vibrancy as S.A. The rest of the city felt suburbanish except for a few pocket area such as La Jolla. San Jose was just one big semi-dense suburb. Santa Clara area had some mix-used development but majority of the area felt semi urban. Overall, I would have to say that San Diego was the most urban of the three and close behind is S.A.
Great examples of why this is a horrible forum.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
San Diego
San Jose
San Antonio

With SD far ahead of the other two. San Jose is better than most realize though.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:48 PM

92 posts, read 105,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Great examples of why this is a horrible forum.
Or rather just great examples of why San Jose is the least urban. I was just there last week and have visited many times before that; my opinion is based on experience and not just on a pre-conceived idea. Sure I might have exaggerated a bit saying that "there isn't a shred of urbanity" but in all fairness San Jose is the least urban of the three. I'm not quite sure why that alone constitutes a "horrible forum".

Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM

507 posts, read 806,462 times
Quote:
Or rather just great examples of why San Jose is the least urban. I was just there last week and have visited many times before that; my opinion is based on experience and not just on a pre-conceived idea. Sure I might have exaggerated a bit saying that "there isn't a shred of urbanity" but in all fairness San Jose is the least urban of the three. I'm not quite sure why that alone constitutes a "horrible forum".
How so? I've never been to SA, but would have thought its easily the least urban of the three considering much of the city has no sidewalks.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Sure I might have exaggerated a bit saying that "there isn't a shred of urbanity" but in all fairness San Jose is the least urban of the three. I'm not quite sure why that alone constitutes a "horrible forum".
You kind of answered yourself there.

Also, San Jose somehow manages to be the densest of the three by a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning