Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:25 AM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times

Advertisements

I can't help but notice there is hardly any planned cities in US or any being built that I am aware of. Most cities are just allowed to grow before they try to create a plan on top of the existing city. Most of these cities turn into randomly placed 'new' industrial, commercial residential districts around city. And often have not planned for roadway, freeway, and definitely not Subway/Elevated Trains or even buses. They starting about it after the street are clogged with traffic.

Honestly, I think with all issue there would planning how to address these future issues BEFORE they appear by creating planned cities.

But I don't see any, there is a list of Wikipedia of 'planned cities in us' but none them seem to actually have plans.

I would think it would even be an option at State level they would start allocating land and start planning for a new city.

Am I missing something here, or is fully planned cities just not beneficial enough to gain interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
here is one:
Planned for a population of 35,000, the city will showcase a modern business district downtown,
and neat rows of terraced housing in the suburbs. It will be supplied with pristine streets, parks, malls and a church.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/test-city/index.html

Old 08-01-2019, 12:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Washington, DC.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:49 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
There are 2 somewhat famous smaller, planned communities in Florida, Celebration (planned by Disney) and Seaside. Seaside was used as the main filming location for the Jim Carey Movie The Truman Show. Both of these cases where done without government intervention.
https://celebration.fl.us/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside,_Florida

What you are missing is that generally, land is privately owned and the local government can only enforce zoning/planning up to its own borders. Governments will take land by eminent domain in order to fulfill public needs. However, a single property holder with a decent lawyer can stop lots of development/plans, even when it might be for the "greater good".

Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
cities just grow wild here in the us. and theres usually lots of small cities all around a big city.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Washington, DC.

Philadelphia and Savannah,GA are also planned cities.

Plenty of new suburbs are planned cities

Old 08-01-2019, 04:09 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
They grow from small beginnings. Miami started as an indian village and was transformed by the Florida East Coast RR.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
For some reason, these "fully planned cities" tend to be overwhelmingly residential and peppered with restaurants and franchise shopping (granted, sometimes very nice upscale chains) with very few professional jobs. Usually reserved for small, high-value, boutique office suites for the "purple squirrel / unicorn" type candidates who are like 1 of 6 on some team of creative directors or content developers.

The first "fully-planned" city I heard of was Celebration, FL. Anchored by Disney World, it is another example of a tourist (or vacation, or retirement) based community.

I have not seen any good examples of a "working age, still needs to work locally" planned community. Too much holdover and everything still centered around port cities and railroad hubs.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Washington, D.C. would be one very well known example. Columbia, Maryland is also fairly well known, and much more recent. No city plan survives contact with the residents and time, however. The city will sooner rather than later either fail, grow beyond its original plan, or parts will be used differently than planned.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
usa is supposed to have freedom so that means towns expand and become cities and everyone yells about how they should have the right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning