U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,107,012 times

Advertisements

The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood: David Simon, Edward Burns: 9780767900317: Amazon.com: Books A good read on the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
To all the above: OK, but isn't that a small subset of the residents of your fair city?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To all the above: OK, but isn't that a small subset of the residents of your fair city?
Sure. Librarians are a pretty small subset as well. But their activities are far less destructive.

The book is a great read, btw. I wasn't just suggesting it to be a jerk.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Sure. Librarians are a pretty small subset as well. But their activities are far less destructive.

The book is a great read, btw. I wasn't just suggesting it to be a jerk.
I may read it one of these days. I didn't think you were being a jerk.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Doesn't say, one-half to two-thirds of Balitmore families live in a situation as working-class and perhaps barely getting by but not in dire poverty liable to get involved with gangs?

Baltimore (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Poverty Rate is 22%, high but that leaves a lot left for people who aren't poor.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Looking at that poverty rate in the context of some of American's wealthiest counties, which surround us ... it seems more stark. The feeling of hopelessness, and wanting to belong, is why young folks join up with pushers and gangs. To me, the "hopelessness" has never been lower ... if that makes sense. In the early to mid 90s Baltimore was on fire with both crack and heroin. I think the crack market has contracted ... but heroin is and will always be king as long as people wish to use it. Seeing as prescription opiate abuse is just tremendous and growing, I don't think heroin distributors will be short on customers anytime soon.

I don't think it's cheaper anywhere else in the U.S. (commodities are always cheapest at the source or port of origin) and people drive in from all over the region to get it. 3/4 of our murders are about turf. It's a tough business, a lot of competition. Don't get involved, and you're less likely to run into problems here than many other cities (I think).

Of course, valuable turf is now located at the edges of the city and in the first-ring suburbs. Closer to customers who probably pay a premium not to have to go down to areas that look like those that are posted in the "urban decay" thread.

And yes a lot is left for those who aren't in poverty. That drug money doesn't vanish, though - I'd love to see the value of the heroin trade in Baltimore. I have no idea how many $Ms per year it is, but it's big.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,094,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You try to tell that 15 year old in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Brooklyn, etc ... without anyone at home encouraging him ... that it makes sense to do something hard like get a worthless HS diploma, so they can go work at target - rather than make thousands of dollars standing on a corner.

Some are going to slip through the cracks. It's simple economics.
Street level drug dealers don't even make as much as Target workers... plus they're about 1000x as likely to get shot/jumped or otherwise maimed. Better off being a 7-11 cashier on the same corner than the one selling rocks.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Street level drug dealers don't even make as much as Target workers... plus they're about 1000x as likely to get shot/jumped or otherwise maimed. Better off being a 7-11 cashier on the same corner than the one selling rocks.
I agree, i know which id prefer ... But They do quite a bit better than target workers (here) and are a part d a "family." its more than just a job, its anout belonging to something. Plus they don't have to wear those dumb red shirts (then again, depending on their set...).

There is no shortage of demand, and there is no shortage of employees.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
This is a good source:

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...alysis2000.pdf

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM

^really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or