U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 PM

389 posts, read 400,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sudhir Venkatesh has a book titled "Gang Leader For a Day," It is a very very interesting read or audio book to say the least.

Basically this guy was a grad student at the University of Chicago(which is a nice area on the south side I will say), he now is a professor at Columbia University, anyways, he wanted to figure out why young black males in that area were frustrated. His professor at that time gave him some address from what I remember after he had tried asking older black men... he goes to the address, this is in the 90's mind you and walks into one of the Robert Traylor Homes project buildings. Fast forward a little bit and the lower gang members are keeping him under watch because they think he is a rival gang member, the leader comes back in due time ask him why he is there etc. Eventually he becomes sorta like friends with the leader and hangs around these guys and sees why things are the way they are etc, a few years into the semi-friendship the leader gets mad at him and is like you try running things for the day... its not as simple as you think.

Interesting read, sounds far fetched but I researched into who this Sudhir Venkatesh dude is and he seems real enough lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times
Atlantic City article about diversifying city schools and the benefits of doing so:

How Diverse Schools Could Help Fight the Worst Effects of Gentrification - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
^ Hehe, I had to do a double take. Ain't much diversity in Atlantic City schools, that's for sure!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
The article was interesting, but offered no guidance on how to achieve their goal, just "they have to figure it out".

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
^ Hehe, I had to do a double take. Ain't much diversity in Atlantic City schools, that's for sure!
I have distant relatives who lived with the Atlantic City school district. Sent their kids to Catholic school, even though they weren't Catholic.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The article was interesting, but offered no guidance on how to achieve their goal, just "they have to figure it out".
Yeah I just posted it to show another example of planners taking an interest in education. The Atlantic Cities is a website geared towards people who have an interest in that sort of stuff. And he wasn't very specific, but he did cite some cities that have open zoning policies as a path towards a solution.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Yeah I just posted it to show another example of planners taking an interest in education. The Atlantic Cities is a website geared towards people who have an interest in that sort of stuff. And he wasn't very specific, but he did cite some cities that have open zoning policies as a path towards a solution.
Well, it's a good thing they're noticing the schools at all.

What I think would help in the inner city schools is to get some community leaders (leaders of that community) to be positive about schools and schooling. It would be nice to change the attitude that some have referred to that doing well in school is "acting white" .

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, it's a good thing they're noticing the schools at all.

What I think would help in the inner city schools is to get some community leaders (leaders of that community) to be positive about schools and schooling. It would be nice to change the attitude that some have referred to that doing well in school is "acting white" .
Plenty are (from our congressman Elijah Cummings on down to council members). There are plenty of role models and people helping out ... There's also plenty of kids who on to be just fine. That's not really lacking - as I've said, it's the environments so many of these kids come from. Only so much schools can do to compensate for that. If a kid lacks safety at home ... It's going to be tough.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM

6,372 posts, read 5,994,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Add in the fact that urban schools often all-out lack the sufficient resources/course offerings/amenities catering to the best and brightest. Having educated parents doesn't make much of a difference when a school doesn't offer advanced math, much less things like music programs... Or chalk...

So while I agree test schools are far and away from the end-all, be-all, it's fallacious to suggest things like comprehensive extracurricular activities, AP/IB classes, technological resources, etc. etc. don't matter. Put another way, "lower test scores" don't really matter in the case of an Allderdice. At a Carrick, it's symptomatic of a much bigger problem.
Teachers having to purchase their own school supplies, etc.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Basically problems start with people and what they value. A decline or a upward movement in this doesn't happen overnite.Asians for example have a clear value for eduction altho they arewhere amoung thew poorest not that long ago.its t without cost in other areas for genrations either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or