U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
$17,165 for the one I went to. New York City is $19,000. As an aside, rural areas aren't mentioned much, but the school district my aunt lives in in upstate NY (rather rural) scores quite a bit worse than NYC for 4th grade reading and math scores. There's something funny with this map:

New York City Public Schools

Zoom out. Why does Conneticut and Pennsyvlannia score so much higher than neighboring states? Different state tests?
Different tests is one explanation. I've "heard" the Texas test is not as difficult as the Colorado test, for ex. (Don't know if it's true, just sayin'.)

The other explanation is that those of us from PA are just so smart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,883,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I certainly will accept your personal experiences. One has to wonder just what is going on in the Philadelphia schools though. According to this source, the per-pupil expenditure in the Phila. schools is $10,584. It is $6800 in Denver.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Find your district’s 2012-13 funding numbers | EdNewsColorado

Beginning teacher salary in Philly is $41,111, top is $75,572.
Beginning teacher salary in DPS is $37,927, top is $74,960.

http://static.dpsk12.org/gems/hr2009/20122013Salary.pdf
http://www.nctq.org/docs/7-08.pdf

These salaries are fairly comparable.
Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation

So what's going on in Philly? Too many highly paid administrators? I've always wondered why schools need so many administrators, especially when there is so much professional staff. It seems schools have way more admins than say, a hospital, which has a lot of unskilled laborers.
Like I said before, high spending does not always correlate with high quality. The Philadelphia School District is riddled with bureaucracy. It's not so much that the administrators are paid highly (which they aren't for the most part) so much as that a) there's a ton of them and b) their somewhat lower full-time salaries are later compensated by generous pensions ($75k goes much further in Denver than it does in Philly). When you have a school district as large and troubled as Philadelphia, you're going to have a lot of redundant school facilities, which come along with redundant teachers, staff, administrators, etc. A lot of problems here come from the teacher's unions as well (they exist for a good reason, and I would never advocate busting them apart, but they certainly contribute more than their fair share to the red tape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Different tests is one explanation. I've "heard" the Texas test is not as difficult as the Colorado test, for ex. (Don't know if it's true, just sayin'.)

The other explanation is that those of us from PA are just so smart!
Pennsylvania tends to be, aggregately, an upper-middle public school performer because the good-to-excellent suburban districts largely (though not entirely) outweigh the lackluster urban/rural ones.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I thnik we see even i mosy urban schools kids that come out with a good eduatio to move forward. often the difference is how they actaully value learning and education. urban schools ahve alot of mney thrown at them with such a school feedigspeical programs for under advataged kids etc;but pernats and studnet valuing education can makde a huge difference. I think we see that with asians kids who often go to same schools with entirely different outcomes so often. Throwig money isn't goig to solved a problem of student and aprents valign education which is often so lacking i urban schools. Mnay become social gathering places instead of learn institutions and much energy and fundig is wasted governing behaviour because of it.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,883,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik we see even i mosy urban schools kids that come out with a good eduatio to move forward. often the difference is how they actaully value learning and education. urban schools ahve alot of mney thrown at them with such a school feedigspeical programs for under advataged kids etc;but pernats and studnet valuing education can makde a huge difference. I think we see that with asians kids who often go to same schools with entirely different outcomes so often. Throwig money isn't goig to solved a problem of student and aprents valign education which is often so lacking i urban schools. Mnay become social gathering places instead of learn institutions and much energy and fundig is wasted governing behaviour because of it.
I agree that money isn't a one-all solution to the problem, but proper allocation/spending of resources is a key issue that cannot be ignored.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,848,039 times
There is education outside of schools and where students younger than young adults go to school. I expected another main focus on this topic such as a correlation between multidimensional education compared to a fair, proper investment and equal distribution of wealth into all urban planning projects.

I feel there is too much bureaucracy systems and some flaws with investment preventing more development, and progress from happening in architecture urban planning projects, and too much reliance on monopolized capitalistic wealth, and a comprehensive political/government system.

There is an internal mechanism necessary to change in how investment collaterally affects and makes practical actions happen in architecture, urban planning projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or